Register free!

Old 06-12-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

DVS I am interested in seeing your super duper job cost estimating sheet if your willing to share.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
Question, it sounds like you do a lot of installs, so when you received what I can assume was an extremely low material cost quote, didn't the hair on the back of your neck tell you something, or did you think you hit the land of cheap block?
It was my first wall solo. And my usual supplier (for pavers and stone) was 30 mins away. This guy was 5 minutes so I didn't give it a second thought. I had the low quote in writing but they wouldn't honor it. Now I won't even send customers there for free samples.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is why you get every quote in writing. Also never phone in a order. Always email it or text it. Its also good to have a paper trail when the supplier screws up and you don't end up getting all the material you were suppose to.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I have a friend that went to work for the parts department at a well known DC area Toyota dealership. He quoted someone the wrong price for an expensive part. He explained to me how it happened, which made sense to me. But the dealership withheld the difference from my buddy's paycheck. That didn't go over too well with my buddy because it was their computer system that prompted him to underprice the part.

So what I'm saying is these things do and can happen. But the supplier should honor the quote they have you. And anything else beyond that is between the management and the employee that mis-quoted.
Posted via Mobile Device
You have to honor the quotes you give customers, why shouldn't they? I hope this worked out for you
Old 08-09-2013, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by promower View Post
I been using my same stone vendor for years, great relationship with them. They recently went with an online pricing book for all there materials, its been a bit of a learning curve and somewhat hard to navigate. I recently bid a larger wall project and needed to call my vendor with some price info. Long story short I was quoted wrong and lost 1k on materials when I was supposed make 1k on materials. My client had already given the go ahead for the project before I got my bill.
I cant/wont come back at my client asking for the extra money. My vendor somewhat worked with me on the material giving me free delivery (30 pallets) but thats a far cry from 1k. Any suggestions how to go about this? I feel at very least the difference should be split. Also this was not a written quote, only verbally over the phone.
I meant my last comment for you, hope this worked out. You bid on a job, and are expected to honor that price. They bid on the material, and they don't have to? You deserve that restitution.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This somewhat worked out, my supplier gave me some money back, about 40% After we finished the job the customer wanted us to install stairs with the same material. I informed them that the bid would change because I was misquoted originally. The customer reimbursed me the remaining 60% I had lost. I did not ask them to do this they just did it and we are also installing the stairs now in the fall.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This is what happens when you quote material and labour separate. I have never worked that way. If you are worried about losing a grand over a 30 pallet job, I think you were underpriced to start with. There are many ways to lose more than a grand on a job that size. Material misquotes being one!
Old 08-12-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
This is what happens when you quote material and labour separate. I have never worked that way. If you are worried about losing a grand over a 30 pallet job, I think you were underpriced to start with. There are many ways to lose more than a grand on a job that size. Material misquotes being one!
Canada to the United States. An Apple to Grapes comparison, in terms of markets.

In the Unites States the profit margins for hardscape work are slim to near nothing. There is no money in installing pavers. Unless you're in a market with a lot of what we call "old money". "Old money" means the kids have finished college, the parents have paid off their house, college loans, and have retired. They have saved up some money and NOW after all those years of spending it on the family.....they're going to spend it on theirselves and get what they been always wanting.

My market is so tight with the numbers that YES, I would be worried about losing $1,000.00 on a 30 pallet job.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did ok on the job, no one wants to lose money though especially when it was on material that was quoted wrong.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by promower View Post
I did ok on the job, no one wants to lose money though especially when it was on material that was quoted wrong.
You need to mark up materials much more than what you are, or you need to get better pricing. How much discount do you guys typically get on your interlock purchases. The way I am reading things is if you don't make a dime on material, then why not just get the customer to purchase it. Let them deal with losing a grand.