Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-12-2013, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quick Dually 44 owners...? taller tires for more speed....

Your experience on taller and possibly wider tires for use on the BOP Quick Dually 44...? 95% of the lawns I mow with this mower are never mowed below 3.25" I now mow my own lawn at the max height 4.5" plus a few others. Yes these lawns look great BTW.

So just makes sense to make life on the belts easier and faster ground speed and less time and more .

Your input...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Guessing the duallies have more room in front of the rear tire than my single hydro Q32's. On mine the frame is basically right in the way of using a taller tire.

Wow, do the duallies mow all the way up to 4.5"??
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 06-12-2013, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mine feels plenty fast, are you walking or riding? I've never looked into taller tires. My concern and experience with the deck higher than 3.5" is the loss of vacuum. We have dandelions and other weeds that will grow 24" in a week and they bend over and stay to low to get cut if I have the deck to high. Cutting 3.5 and lower my deck sucks them into the blades and they are cut on the 1st pass. Turf type differences can surely change things though. If you try this, let us know how it works.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The BOP dually mowers vs the single hydros have a bit more room between the deck and wheels due to space required for the larger hydros.

I'm still waking up so I feel a rant coming on.

I flat out no longer bag with the Q44 since the out rigger effect is so pronounced and uneven ground drags off the Accelerator catchers so quickly at any height. The steel Pro fit is too heavy IMO. I also have both generations of Accelerator ® catchers. I'm seriously considering permanently modifying how they attach to the all 3 deck sizes. The way the decks are configured... bagging just works vastly better with the Q32. Did I also mention vastly better blades plug & play for the Q32.

One of these days when I get caught up and have time I will post and exhaustive mower blade cross reference and pros and coins for all BOP mowers.

Okay now for tire size. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the Q32 dually has a lower profile tire and a bit narrower than the Q36/44. Wheels are closer together and the trimming ability of this mower is a week point. When mulching with plate I honestly prefer a trim unsing the right side if the deck. The other drawback is I have found the rear deck height needs to be 1.5 spacers equivalent to match the front. My Q32 #1 can only now at a max height of just over 3.5". Q32 dually #2 right at 3.5" since the rear adjustment maxes out at 3.5". So what I'm saying is I'd absolutely love to find taller skinny tire for the Q32 to match the stock speed of the Q36/44.

Q36 is a noticeably better trim mower than the Q32 due to wider deck and I would not want wider tires on this dually since it would spoil the trimming ability.

Q44 has such great trimming ability due to deck over hang so a wider tire will Not hurt the trimming much. Only exception is trimming around small evergreens with low to the ground branches.

Okay now for the speed issue. I mulch now 95% of the time with the Q44 and I typically double cut and if this mower will fit or hook through a gate on my smaller lawns this is my fastest mower. Pass #1 is at reduced throttle and yes reduced load in engine and yes I really prefer to older low lifts for less juicing effect and lower load in engine compared to 91-369 single notch blades. I'm snapping fewer belts and clutch cables thus far thus year. Yes I use 92 octane ethanol free gas. In the past I have been criticized that I will burn up the engine at low rpm due to optimal cooling at full spec rpm. Costco has a cheap handheld temp gauge so I might test this soon.

So taller tire more speed on pass #1 and #2. This also means I will have to run/jog faster on the smaller lawns since I only hitch up the sulky on bigger lawns.

More later gotta mow....

***edits*** autocorrect/ select "mow NOT now" other typos no time to fix

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Exact Rototilling; 06-13-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with everything you stated, but I like the gators for Bermuda. The medium and high lifts on the 32" shoot grass 20' , the darndest thing and creates clean up issues, so I just stay with the gators on the 32. I'd rather double cut than bag any day, but will do it if necessary. The 32 is a terrible trim mower, but I like it for a couple of pool areas that I mulch, and one small gate yard. I looked at all three today, larger tires would work fine on my 36 and 44, the 32 might not take wider without spacers, but taller and skinnier would be fine.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehitchman View Post
I agree with everything you stated, but I like the gators for Bermuda. The medium and high lifts on the 32" shoot grass 20' , the darndest thing and creates clean up issues, so I just stay with the gators on the 32. I'd rather double cut than bag any day, but will do it if necessary. The 32 is a terrible trim mower, but I like it for a couple of pool areas that I mulch, and one small gate yard. I looked at all three today, larger tires would work fine on my 36 and 44, the 32 might not take wider without spacers, but taller and skinnier would be fine.
Are you using gators with the mulch plate installed or just side discharge. And are you referring to the gators BOP sold for/with the 32...? The G5/G6 gators are very high lift and in dry condtions can often turn clippings into clipping dust with the catcher on. Same goes for dry leaves.

Medium lift on the Q32 are you referring to the old standard lift with no notch blade BOP sold...? That would be the 92-053. References over to Red Hawk mower.

As of yet still haven't shortened down the G5 gators for the Q44 from 12.25" down to 12.125". Hope to soon maybe Saturday.

Anyhow if anybody tracks down skinny taller tires for the Q32 that are no wider than stock....let me know.

For now I just want to track down some spare wheels so if for some reason I don't like taller and slightly wider tires on the Q44 I don't have to bust them off and remount.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2014, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Trying to track down wheels now:

8 X 5-3/8 (wide) 4 on 4 pattern with a ~1" positive offset

18-6.50 X 8

Any input on a solid online source for these...?

Thanks

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.