Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-14-2013, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwom89 View Post
Well the dealer in my town doesn't let you take them a demo them . But the only place that had a 54" outlaw was 2hours away one way so I wouldn't have wanted to do that much driving. And I just figured since the bad boy zt with the 27 horse was a power house that the outlaw was suppose to be the same or better, but them again it weighs almost twice as much do I'm sure the 36 horse vanguards are the only briggs motor I would have put in something that heavy. But then again it may be just that particular motor not putting out the horses it should
Posted via Mobile Device
The Vanguards are really good engines. Powerful and fuel efficient. My leaf loader has a 16hp vanguard that has been running strong since 2008. I would not hesitate to buy a mower with any vanguard.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you think I would have been better off with the kohler command over the briggs cyclonic the kohlers tourqe numbers are about 3ft lbs higher so its not a hole lot but some people swear by kohler and some say the briggs
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-14-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Do you think I would have been better off with the kohler command over the briggs cyclonic the kohlers tourqe numbers are about 3ft lbs higher so its not a hole lot but some people swear by kohler and some say the briggs
Posted via Mobile Device
I would definitely choose the Kohler over the Briggs Cyclonic. The Briggs Vanguard engine has a great reputation but that's not the case with the Briggs Cyclonic. Maybe some of the gear heads on here can chime in on this but I believe the Vanguard is built by Diahatsu which I believe is connected with Toyota... even though it carries the Briggs name. I believe the Cyclonic is built by Briggs and Stratton.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
I would definitely choose the Kohler over the Briggs Cyclonic. The Briggs Vanguard engine has a great reputation but that's not the case with the Briggs Cyclonic. Maybe some of the gear heads on here can chime in on this but I believe the Vanguard is built by Diahatsu which I believe is connected with Toyota... even though it carries the Briggs name. I believe the Cyclonic is built by Briggs and Stratton.
I agree.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I began reading this thread and was quite surprised.

I bought a BB Lightening Z in 2004 or 2005 and have had it ever since. I dealt directly with the people at the factory and they were fabulous. The local dealer went out of business shortly after I bought it, but that had nothing to do with BB.

I have talked with many BB owners in the area since buying mine and have NEVER heard any dissatisfaction whatsoever from any of them. Maybe this is due to the current BB dealer in the area, but if the machines were no good, you would think someone would have had trouble.

No one makes products that never, ever give trouble of some sort and bad news about a product or company ALWAYS travels at light speed while good news doesn't get around nearly as fast.

Anyway, my impression of BB mowers as well as the company has been outstanding. I hate to see people experiencing trouble.

My $0.02,
Larry
Old 09-15-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
I began reading this thread and was quite surprised.

I bought a BB Lightening Z in 2004 or 2005 and have had it ever since. I dealt directly with the people at the factory and they were fabulous. The local dealer went out of business shortly after I bought it, but that had nothing to do with BB.

I have talked with many BB owners in the area since buying mine and have NEVER heard any dissatisfaction whatsoever from any of them. Maybe this is due to the current BB dealer in the area, but if the machines were no good, you would think someone would have had trouble.

No one makes products that never, ever give trouble of some sort and bad news about a product or company ALWAYS travels at light speed while good news doesn't get around nearly as fast.

Anyway, my impression of BB mowers as well as the company has been outstanding. I hate to see people experiencing trouble.

My $0.02,
Larry
Well like I stated I have had good luck as bad luck. I'm not downing them just wanting a issue fixed. I did receive a call that they are having excellent luck with the briggs cyclonic so they feel that there almost has to be and issue with the motor. They agreed to send a rep out so he could see what it is doing mowing the grass it's doing it in. So I see one or two things happening either he see's what in talking about and it gets fixed or he states it mowing like it should and I was just expecting more. Then if that's the case he said it would be up to the dealer to try and work out a deal. I'm sure that if other brands were having issues you would here about it too. I mean after all this forum is for people to share their experiences on certain products rather its good or bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Well like I stated I have had good luck as bad luck. I'm not downing them just wanting a issue fixed. I did receive a call that they are having excellent luck with the briggs cyclonic so they feel that there almost has to be and issue with the motor. They agreed to send a rep out so he could see what it is doing mowing the grass it's doing it in. So I see one or two things happening either he see's what in talking about and it gets fixed or he states it mowing like it should and I was just expecting more. Then if that's the case he said it would be up to the dealer to try and work out a deal. I'm sure that if other brands were having issues you would here about it too. I mean after all this forum is for people to share their experiences on certain products rather its good or bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

You're absolutely right Ron. I hope you get some satisfaction.
Larry
Old 09-16-2013, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

i have a bad boy 54 inch cut is the deck supposed to sit lower in front is is there a issue ineed to get looked at
Old 09-16-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat180 View Post
i have a bad boy 54 inch cut is the deck supposed to sit lower in front is is there a issue ineed to get looked at
I have a 54" outlaw and the front sits 1/4 lower, I believe 1/4 pitch is set from factory.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

On every mower I've ever dealt with, the deck is set very slightly lower in the front.

BTW, my 26HP Kawasaki powered Bad Boy Lightening Z with 48" deck is heck for over powered. I have plowed through some really tough, wet grass in the past. It doesn't always cut it well, but it never loses RPM while doing so.

Larry