Register free!

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

$10,000 aerator + 2 1/2 ft

Wondering if anybody is willing to spend $10,000 or more for an aerator that aerates a mere 2 1/2 feet?

Example : Toro/Exmark stand-on aerator. $9400 plus sales tax.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The z areator is 42"s and $7.5k i think.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pull behind billy goat 48" $2000.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anything bigger than 2.5 feet is no good for small property's. big property's just get a pull behind or a front mount for $2000
Old 06-15-2013, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I bought an origional z plugger. Not enough holes, couldnt penetrate my red clay soil, unless it rained the day before,terrible on hills. Its been sitting in my building for years. It has a hydrolic spreader on it. Great for spreading pellet lime.
I bought the toro standup(lawn Solutions) from the origional inventor. It works great. It will last many years.great value.
I also havs a lawnair 4. I bought it in 1984.
I also built a 5 foot wide tractor mount (3point hitch), aerator, out of Ryan tricare castings. I used this for many years, but it needed extra weight to penetrate the soil, unless it was irrigated...total, with weight ...probably 1600 lbs. I havent used this since i bought the Lawn Solutions (toro)
Old 06-15-2013, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Larry I wouldn't spend that for the ride on.
Now depending on the price of the dual hydro WB, perhaps......
I'm lookin at you, Turfco
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 06-15-2013, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I did and its worth every penny.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is just one example of price vs profit, a brand new scag mower that I bought was 12k. There are guys mowing lawns for 35.00 with these. I bought a Zspray for 8500.00 and it has been the most profitable one man ride on piece of equipment ! I have been looking at aerators for a while and have not purchased yet, but will be at some point knowing what we make doing aerations. I don't think the price is outrageous in this day in age compared to ALOT of items in our trade.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Larry I wouldn't spend that for the ride on.
Now depending on the price of the dual hydro WB, perhaps......
I'm lookin at you, Turfco
Why does everyone think Turfco is going to come out with this great and magical ride and be able to charge less than a Toro unit? I own a T3000 and am very happy with it. Got a Toro stand on aerator last fall and it's great too. When you compare them side by side, the Toro looks more expensive and heavier built. It has a bigger more expensive engine and the hydros certainly cost a lot more than the transimssion on the T. If Turfco wants 9500 for a T, they'll want 12k for a ride-on!

I don't like to talk prices on the public board but we paid 2 grand less than the prices Larry is talking about. I also know of two places where it can be had for 8-8500 plus tax all day for anyone, no fleet discount required.

At the end of the day, it all depends on how your operation is set up. If I already have the guys on payroll to get the aerations done with walk behinds, I would stay with walk behinds too. But these machines will close to double one man's aeration productivity.

Last edited by pieperlc; 06-15-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieperlc View Post
Why does everyone think Turfco is going to come out with this great and magical ride and be able to charge less than a Toro unit? I own a T3000 and am very happy with it. Got a Toro stand on aerator last fall and it's great too. When you compare them side by side, the Toro looks more expensive and heavier built. It has a bigger more expensive engine and the hydros certainly cost a lot more than the transimssion on the T. If Turfco wants 9500 for a T, they'll want 12k for a ride-on!

I don't like to talk prices on the public board but we paid 2 grand less than the prices Larry is talking about. I also know of two places where it can be had for 8-8500 plus tax all day for anyone, no fleet discount required.

At the end of the day, it all depends on how your operation is set up. If I already have the guys on payroll to get the aerations done with walk behinds, I would stay with walk behinds too. But these machines will close to double one man's aeration productivity.
To sum this up for the blind. Is it the labor or the machine that costs more to aerate a lawn?

If its labor and you cut it in half, how long does it take those savings to pay for the machine?

Then how many more years of savings would you have with the machine before its worn out which is the increased profit?

Or since you get it done twice as quick how many more could you sell and increase sales?

For anyone doing $20k plus in aeration its a no brainer I would think.
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread