Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-03-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Dump Trailer Rental

Hi. So here's the deal I am working out a deal with a good friend to use his dump trailer for the upcoming season. I will keep it I will garage it I will be responsible for maintenance and DOT inspection. He will own it and insure it properly. I know everything I need to in regards to doing things properly with him and using other people's equipment so I don't need info on make sure this or that. What I need is help on making him an offer for the rent. I've looked at rates from local rental company's for a day a week a month n they seem very high. I will mAybe use it once or twice a week if that. I work full time and do design install landscape jobs on Saturday for my enjoyment. Very small time. I want to make a fair offer but don't want to spend all my earnings for what will only be used for a couple dozen plants and mulch. He understands my situation I just can't squeeze it in my truck w tools and transfer tank/box and its not worth delivery w the small amounts and working Saturdays. So there's the situation. What's a fair rate. It's at my disposal when needed. He owns outright and hasn't used it in 2 years. Something's better than nothing for a dual axle 6 x 12 dump trailer. Thanks in advance
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would just make him an offer and buy it. Rental rates are set at what they are for a reason. Out of curiosity, what rates are you seeing? Maybe offer half since you will be doing maintenance. But i foresee the pump or axle bearing going out after you return it and a disagreement arising.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2013, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Alldayjr - you make a good point w repairs after use. I'm looking at 525.00 a month on rental from places such as sunbelt or united and small local places and your also right w payments like that I might as well buy one. Two reasons I don't are I have a 2 week old and 2 year old and I don't know I want to take the risk on that when I will be purchasing an additional truck for snow plowing by next winter which will be a flatbed dump. I suppose I should at least talk with a local trailer dealer and see what my monthly payments would be if I did purchase / finance one. If I did that I'd be buying outright I would not finance I'm just saying for comparison sake.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldn't offer a whole lot due to the fact you'll be storing it for him and performing maintenance. maybe see about a rent-to-own agreement or something, maybe offer to pay half and you two share it?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Rent to own sounds better or make payments to him. If he doesnt want to sell there are plenty out there, just find the right deal on craigslist.
Does he not want to sell?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I am pretty sure he wouldn't be interested in selling it and like I said I don't really want to buy it cuz it won't be needed once I buy a dump truck in the fall. I'd buy it sooner but I haven't found the right one and I want to pay cash I'm not a fan of debt I have been down that road and only buy it if I can pay for it now. That's why I hate to throw my current cash into a trailer when I want a whole truck. I'm gonna just throw him a number and he can take it or leave it. I've got thru the past 6 years without I can deal with 6 more months. I think he'll take it though cuz currently it sits 95% of the time. We will see I'll let u know
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd offer him a percentage. Show him the invoice from each job the trailer is used on and give him 5 or 10%. Something like that. This way you know you're getting your money's worth and not paying for it to just sit there in your driveway.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-04-2013, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Member

At a rental company they are responsible for maintenance.

I'd just make sure to return it in better condition than you borrowed it. You could wind up at a loss offering cash and maintenance on a trailer that has been sitting 2 years.
Wheel bearings, brakes, dry rotted tires, decking. Trailers deteriorate faster sitting than in use. When I had a spare trailer I'd loan it every chance I'd get to make sure it was kept road worthy.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Maybe I'm just cheap but I'd say maintenance plus storage and you're even. I might be inclined to throw a new set of tires and wheel bearings on it when you're done with it though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Toro- it's not a rental company hence why I'm offering to take care of it. I agree that they deteriorate faster sitting then working and almost feel as tho I am doing him a favor.

Creative - my feelings are the same as you in a sense that I'd like to only pay on the days I use it. I don't want to pay to store it from him I'd rather give him 50 dollars a day when I use it 10 days a month I make out fine. When I pay 500 dollars a month an use it two times that month ill go broke
Posted via Mobile Device