Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-13-2013, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Stihl Edger/bed redifiner

I stopped by my local stihl dealer to pick up my string trimmer and blower for my new km130, i was talking to him about the bed redifiner, he said he has had 2 different lawn companys buy the blade for the redifiner to use on there edger. I saw a post on here where a guy used an edger blade on his redifiner but has anyone tried this? I was going to buy the redifiner but after he said that it got me thinking, why wouldn't that work. He said he hadnt heard from either guy that bought them as to wheather they worked or not.
I would have just bought the blade but they didn't have one in stock..
Do any of you guy's know if this will work?

A good friend will bail you out of jail but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying dang that was fun..
Old 06-13-2013, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've wondered this same exact thing. I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who has tried it.

The guard on the edger head is nowhere near wide enough to prevent dirt from being thrown back on you, so that has to be considered, and I'm not sure whether the re-definer blade will clear the outer lip of the edger guard or not. I'm still curious though.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I asked the guy about the guard being to small. He seemed to think it would fit. I didn't think about the dirt flying everywhere, but i could deal with that no more than i will need to run it like that.
If i don't get a firm answer in the next few day's i'll just order a blade and try it. The blade is under $20 bucks i think.

A good friend will bail you out of jail but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying dang that was fun..
Old 06-13-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think the bed edger has a 1" hole. After a quick look the be redefiner blade is held on by a bolt, and the edger blade is held on by a nut, Im not going to diaassemble anything, but Im nearly sure it wont work.

If you want to get out on the "cheap" try one of these.
http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/pr...dgerBlades.htm
Old 06-13-2013, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I work for a local Stihl dealer and I would not install the blade on a edger attachment. Huge difference in gear box and guard.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

What benfield said.I just bought one and the gear head is alot diffrent than my edger gear head.I used it a little to try out but it seems like it does not want to stop raining here.It works good but not in damp soil.I tried it on my stihl 110 kombi head and I think it is a little underpowered,But like I said I tried it in damp soil.when it drys up I am going to try it on my stihl 130 and see what that does.......Cant wait.
BR 600,Shindy eb 802,pb770
fs 90 r,km 90r,km100
9 hp little wonder push blower
19t ,310 stihl saws
tiller,chainsaw,edger,hedge clipper Kombi- attachments
hs 80
2003 F-350,7.3 on STEROIDS
24 ft enclosed trailer
7x14 ft Dump trailer
Old 06-13-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

forgot to tell ya .I got the attachment for $225.00 and an Extra blade for $25.00.I thought the blade was a pretty good deal compared to the echo blade they use.
BR 600,Shindy eb 802,pb770
fs 90 r,km 90r,km100
9 hp little wonder push blower
19t ,310 stihl saws
tiller,chainsaw,edger,hedge clipper Kombi- attachments
hs 80
2003 F-350,7.3 on STEROIDS
24 ft enclosed trailer
7x14 ft Dump trailer
Old 06-14-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a FC95, and bought a bed redefiner blade when they first come out. I installed it no problem. I have used it an awful lot. It works good. It is not as heavy and does not pull the edger like the Echo blade for their redefiner. I also bought one if their blades and it fits my stihl just fine. The 95 has plenty of power to pull either one in this TN red clay soil.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998tahoe View Post
I have a FC95, and bought a bed redefiner blade when they first come out. I installed it no problem. I have used it an awful lot. It works good. It is not as heavy and does not pull the edger like the Echo blade for their redefiner. I also bought one if their blades and it fits my stihl just fine. The 95 has plenty of power to pull either one in this TN red clay soil.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is the type of info I was hoping for. Thanks for posting.