Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-13-2013, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Mower Build Project

I'm a newbie here...and just a home hobbyist...hope it's okay to join and post...

So...I'm doing this project backwards...I know...but I'd like some help....

I picked up a new in the box Kawasaki FJ180V. It looks like a KAI version. Model seems to be ?M08....can't tell the first letter. The seller thought it was AM08. So it should be a FJ180V-AM08. It was only $75 so I just had to grab it and see what I can do with it! Can't find a model or serial number on the unit though...just a manufacture date code. I attached a photo of the only sticker on the engine with info.

So now I need to attach this to a nice deck!

I have two 21" Snappers...one is from the 80's with a Kawasaiki FC150V...it runs great so I'll leave that one alone.

The other is from the 90's...has a Briggs on it that runs okay. It looks almost new...I think I may sell it as is and buy an older unit to attach this new engine to. This newer Spanner just does not seem as robust as the old. It is a Ninja model but the deck looks the same with the same lip folded in for vacuum purposes. But the deck seems lighter and not as solid as the old 80s model I have.

So I want to start fresh with a new (used) deck.

My question is...what decks would this engine work well with?

It has a 25mm (1") crankshaft diameter.
The shaft is 69.1mm (2.72") in length.
I think it has a 3/16 key way (I measured 4.6mm)...it runs the whole length.

Those specs appear very close to my newer Snapper deck...the old snapper is 7/8" and 3 - 5/32" I think.

Replacement decks for both units use the same part number so it seems odd they would have engines with different crankshaft sizes.

But alas...I don't want a Snapper deck for this new build anyway.

I actually want a super mulching unit for this new build. The old Snapper bags perfectly...so I want this mower to mulch through thick grass and leaves and not leave clumps behind...if possible.

So I'm looking for recommendations for good long lasting decks for mulching that should work with this engine / crankshaft. Once I know what unit to buy I'll start searching Craigslist for one in good condition.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2013, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

All I have time to say right now is....... The shorter crankshaft will raise the blade higher up into the deck IF you can locate a 1" bore blade adapter......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
All I have time to say right now is....... The shorter crankshaft will raise the blade higher up into the deck IF you can locate a 1" bore blade adapter......
Figured as much...but what's weird is the newer Snapper, model RP21500, that I have seems to have the same shaft size....just a different keyway size.

The blade on it and my really old Snapper (model 21351PD) seem to both be about the same distance from the bottom of the deck...can't remember but I think it was about 1 CM.

And the old Snapper already has a 1" / 25mm blade adapter and therefore it must have the same size pulley.

But I can't find Snapper blade adapters and pulleys with a 3/16 keyway.

And again...I'm willing to go with a different brand deck and start from scratch....some deck has to work well with this crank size!