Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2012, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Mower security

I have to ask, cause I thought because a mower had a key, it was safe from someone just walking up and stealing it. But when I took my mower to the dealer, when I had them swap out the stock blades for Gators, the kid behind the counter asked for my key at first, then said, "Never mind, I have mine in my pocket." I was like what? Your key works in my mower? " Oh Yeah... there is only like two keys, you can even use a screw drive if you needed too." Oh GREAT... That makes me feel so much better now!

I never paid that close attention. I marked each key with what piece of equipment it matched. Makes you feel real secure knowing a screw driver can be used to replace the key... So now I chain all my equipment down at night and secure it with a Master lock.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my key stays in the ignition all the time. i've never even taken it out
Old 07-25-2012, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You didn't know you can use a screw driver on almost any thing got an ignition key system ? includes cars and trucks ?

Bobcat skid steers also have 2 keys that works on almost all of them.

Lots for sale
http://www.ebay.com/sch/approvedjdm/...&_trksid=p3692

Old 07-25-2012, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A small keyring could hold every key for every snowblower, mower, and piece of heavy construction equipment you could think of.
Cat has a key. JD has a key. There really aren't that many keys out there.

If you really cared, you could buy an ignition switch with a unique key. They're only a few bucks.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk90s13 View Post
You didn't know you can use a screw driver on almost any thing got an ignition key system ? includes cars and trucks ?

Bobcat skid steers also have 2 keys that works on almost all of them.
Yeah... but on a car or truck you have to punch the ignition out first, but he is talking about using a small pocket screw drive just slides in and it turns over. No work to it...
Old 07-25-2012, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-ville native View Post
my key stays in the ignition all the time. i've never even taken it out
Same here, mowers, trucks, loader, skid steer.... If someone wants to steal it badly enough they will find a way.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
Yeah... but on a car or truck you have to punch the ignition out first, but he is talking about using a small pocket screw drive just slides in and it turns over. No work to it...

Yep, when it comes to equipment, keys were never really intended for security. I have mine tied to the mower so they won't get lost and never take them out. You can insert a small flat screwdriver in my Scag Tiger Cat's ignition, turn it and she'll start right up.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
I have to ask, cause I thought because a mower had a key, it was safe from someone just walking up and stealing it. But when I took my mower to the dealer, when I had them swap out the stock blades for Gators, the kid behind the counter asked for my key at first, then said, "Never mind, I have mine in my pocket." I was like what? Your key works in my mower? " Oh Yeah... there is only like two keys, you can even use a screw drive if you needed too." Oh GREAT... That makes me feel so much better now!

I never paid that close attention. I marked each key with what piece of equipment it matched. Makes you feel real secure knowing a screw driver can be used to replace the key... So now I chain all my equipment down at night and secure it with a Master lock.
all depends on switch say u have xxx235 and thats same has my switch my mower is a DC and that same key will fit my Skidloader and start my straw blower and hydro seeder
Stuff like this isnt like a car
That why they have insurance for your stuff
Old 07-25-2012, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They are simply there to keep a youngster from getting hurt AND to keep honest people honest!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

On my newer mower I didnt like the idea of someone being able to take my mower with any old key. So I bought a unique key off amazon and wired it instead of the stock one. It fit right on the dash and wirks great all safe and secured now
Posted via Mobile Device