Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-15-2013, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have not been to Florida since 1974/75. I don't remember what the grass looked like then.

Would be nice to vacation there and take my son to Disney World. Are most of the attractions open in the winter. Disneyland closes down some in the off season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2013, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have too many yards and machines to try and remember which one is what so I always cut at the highest setting, year round, 4 inches.
Why would anyone even want to cut shorter?
Old 06-15-2013, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
it's weird i read in threads on here where the florida guys always mow it tall at like 4" or more. every year i've been to florida for vacation which is over 25 years now the grass is always cut really short where i go. you know to the beach like panama city, destin, or wherever. every time i've seen grass in florida it was cut at like 1 1/2" and it looked great.
I agree on the 1 1/2'' Been there few times never seen a lawn cut tall
All looks like golf greens
I have a customer that winters in Fl and he says same thing. He said grass don't grow like it does here
Old 06-15-2013, 04:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have some neighbors next to my customers lawns that purposely go over a bit into my nice tall st.Aug lawns and they cut it so short.they get mad I guess that I cut it tall. Their lawns look like crap but they look at me like I don't know how to cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2013, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
I have not been to Florida since 1974/75. I don't remember what the grass looked like then.

Would be nice to vacation there and take my son to Disney World. Are most of the attractions open in the winter. Disneyland closes down some in the off season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Most all attractions stay open year round, winter is actually the best time to go in my opinion unless its windy. Summer is too hot to stand in line. lol
Old 06-15-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most all the attractions use hybrid Bermuda that gets cut every 3 days to a half or 1 inch.
Now the Floratam. Which is just a modern strain of St.Augustine. Supposedly uses less water and is chinch bug resistant (wrong on both). It grows the blades off thick, tough runners that tack down to roots every few inches. These runners do best when protected from the sun. The blades themselves are thick and fibrous, almost a quater inch wide. Grow them long and they will stand straight up to 6". The healthier the runners, the longer of blades it will grow and the thicker the appearence. These extreme heights keep weeds out which is good as herbicides are few and pricey. Properly fed especially with the minors and its an enbeatable green. The drawbacks are its not barefoot soft to walk on. It has no viable seeds, so its sod or plug only. Its also a tattle tale if you use dull blades, the edge will cut jagged and turn brown by next day. Customers won't be happy. Its thriving when any northern species is burning from those thick blades. It goes dormant in a normal winter but will die from prolonged frost like we had several years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 06-15-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
It looks like St. Augustine from the picture. We call those "weeds" up here.

Now I'm curious. Don't you guys get short rains on a regular basis? If so, why would you cut it higher?
Since you can't reseed every year with SA you actually have to know what you are doing. Same with weed control as most herbicides are harmful and Floratam is even more so with certain hebicides. You burn SA and you will have a hard time recovering it.
Posted via Mobile Device