Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-13-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Job site cargo trailers...

I was thinking it was about time to get a cargo trailer to put all of the equipment and tools in and not just have it all in the back of the truck bed.

I can't decide on what size would be best. I know it depends on what things I would have in there. I am scared of going to small and wish I had bigger or also going to big and no place to park it at the job site.

Do any of you have one and what size would you recommend?

I look at the small ones like a 6x10' and seem like it would be good but then once everything is in would there be room to get things in an out.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

i have a 14 foot trailer and have almost outgrown it. I would say a 10 footer is way too small. If you do a lot of construction a trailer or tools van is very valuable.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

after all these years in the hardscape biddness.....I just have not grasped the need for enclosed trailers.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Where do you put your tamper brick saw etc overnight on a job where you will be there for a week?
Old 06-13-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I was thinking more along the lines of a 14' one. I know I could fill it up with things and keep the poly sand out of the rain like when I forget it in the back of the truck and have to throw it out.

We always pack up all the tools everyday into the truck. I have the backseat of the quad cab full too so can only get 2 or 3 people in most times. The other dump trucks I have only have the under bed boxes and can't store too much in those either.

I haven't thought they are necessary but would be a nice thing to have and make things a little easier to get out rather than moving everything around in the truck to get something on the bottom.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Enclosed trailers have saved us thousands of dollars every year. Both in equipment wear and tear and labor costs.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

People always believe in what they invest. That's human nature.

We do not own an enclosed trailer for the business. Now I do have an enclosed trailer for racing.

Some of you must be doing patios and walls in the ghetto that you worry About theft.

We leave all out tools at the job. We do residential. Tamper, saw, shovels, rakes, trowels, all stay at the job. Kept out of plain view. Everything is insured. 17 years And never a problem. Never a worry.

Most backyards have walkout basements. So from the backyard to the front it's almost always uphill. Hard for thieves to carry a paver saw or tamper up the hill. That's alotta work.

Poly sand? That comes in plastic bags. If you use the other brand in the brown paper bags - store it in the customers garage.

Moving a skid steer to and from the job.

Bringing in sand to the job

Stopping and picking up materials.

And then you wanna tote around an enclosed trailer? Like the mowing guys do.

To keep production up you'd have 2 or 3 trucks sitting infront of the customers house. That's way too much overhead for one job. In an industry with the tightest margins I've ever seen.

I'm reminded of about two years ago when someone here posted a pic of them working at a job in progressive Christ, I think they had at least 3 trucks in the pic infront of the house!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Toting around another thing was something I haven't been too sure about and have been contemplating about that.

A lot of the jobs we do are in the country or small towns and like you said DVS if there is a out of view spot to put the tools we will do that usually. Like the project we are working on now is for a park on main street so everything has to be put away. One day we got back to the job after a day of rain and some kids had road their bikes all over the pavers making tire marks and driving off of the edge where the snap edge hadn't been installed yet. Kids can be mischievous or shall I say DVS.

We already normally have 2 trucks at the job sometimes 3. One truck is the standard 3500 with the tools and pulls the dump trailer with the skid loader. I then have 2 dump trucks and the F800 usually comes since we need materials.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is why i love my truck tool box. Holds all the small stuff and i usually leave the big stuff in the yard too. The only down side is when you send someone for material and you forgot the level/hammer etc on the truck. But the pros definitely outweigh the cons.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The next problem with the covered trailer is at the end of the day you're loading everything into it.

Return the next morning and unload.

Finish at the end of the day and load.

Return the next morning and unload.

Finish at the end of the day and load.

That's absurd!

We just stand the shovels up against the house and be on our merry way.

If it's a walkway in the front of the house (more visible) - then we stash the tamper and saw behind the shrubbery.

Really, the only positive I see to using an enclosed trailer is the advertising benefit, the lettering on the sides. Other than that, you're just complicating the logistics. Tugging that thing back and forth everyday. Loading and unloading. Something else prone to random roadside DOT inspections. Annual tire purchases. Another unit that needs washed and cleaned. Brakes to upkeep. When we pull our racing trailer the tow vehicle guzzles fuel, so that's a negative.

Looks so cool. Too many complications. Not a necessity.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.