Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I used to always bring my 18' enclosed trailer out to jobs. But it turned into more of a restroom then anything else. Besides the demo saw and laser, once a tool came out of the trailer it hardly ever went back into it until the end of the project.

Most properties I work on now are under 1/2 acer and there is no where to leave the trailer over night. Most towns have strict rules on parking in street over night too.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

we use large gang boxes. They are lockable and can be easily moved around the site with a skid steer. They do have there drawbacks in terms of size and how well you can organize them.

Trailers you can really set up well and have things organized, neat and accessible.

check this out:

http://www.golmn.com/organized-lands...scape-trailers
Old 06-14-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I can see negatives and positives for both sides.

Negatives I can think of or have been discussed:

Its one more thing to have to maintain and add to the tire count.

If its a bigger trailer, finding a place to put it when working in small areas or like mentioned that some areas don't let you park it on the street at night so would have to put it the yard.

Then if you went with a smaller one would it be enough room to make it worth it.

Some positives I can see would be:

being able to have everything on the job I could need rather than trying to remember to bring certain tools for certain jobs like today its a deck job next day its a paver job, then its a trim some shrubs day.

It would also help keep things organized by having a place for everything.

I also think about being able to work 2 jobs at once if I had a trailer to have one set of tools and the truck with another set.

Advertising would be a good one too but really don't need it with all the jobs we have to do.

Thanks guys for the insights you have shared. I still don't know what I want to do but have looked at some used ones online and the majority have a 6 ft ceiling height which I am 6'6" and that would not be very comfortable.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I couldn't do without one, in our 16' v nose we carry 16" tile saw, one and sometimes two hydraulic wheelbarrows, 3 compactors, all the necessary tools to do hardscape and softscape, tool boxes, nails, support edging, 12' roll geo tex, fuel, quickcuts, pipes for leveling, assorted lengths of 2x4"'s etc. I find it extremely unprofessional to roll up in a customers property and ask to leave tools in their garage or leaning against the house over night. The sides are a rolling billboard as well. Negatives are its been broken into a couple of times and it can be a bit big for the smaller properties. All in all, its been a real time saver.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm interested in hearing more detail how it's "unprofessional to leave tools in their garage or leaning against the house over night"!

Guess if you have a garage built the masonry contractor totes away his mortar mixer each day. The framers take their ladders away each day. And if you're starting a new home from scratch - the guys installing the septic system take their back-hoe away from the site each day. Yep, They sure do! Uh huh!

So "unprofessional" that the clients are making brownies and cookies for the workers each day

#DamnHillbilliesHeeHaw

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good morning Mrs. Smith we're here to start your walkway if you don't mind could you open your garage please I have a lot of tools would like to put in there right now yes could you mind moving your car out of the garage please I really don't want to scratch the side of that brand-new Cadillac you have okay Mrs. Smith oh and ill have milk With my cookies please
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I happen to be building a large project right now. Since we started it on May 14th we have had 8 days with downpour rain. The masonry work stopped on those days but my carpenter was able to keep chugging along. We cut all the tails of the pergola in the clients garage. Then we sanded and painted them in the garage.

Was this unprofessional or should I be 8 days furthur behind on their masterpeice?
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrusk View Post
Was this unprofessional or should I be 8 days furthur behind on their masterpeice?
Yes, unprofessional. So when do they get their garage back. Depends on the weather I suppose
Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I'm interested in hearing more detail how it's "unprofessional to leave tools in their garage or leaning against the house over night"!

Guess if you have a garage built the masonry contractor totes away his mortar mixer each day. The framers take their ladders away each day. And if you're starting a new home from scratch - the guys installing the septic system take their back-hoe away from the site each day. Yep, They sure do! Uh huh!

So "unprofessional" that the clients are making brownies and cookies for the workers each day

#DamnHillbilliesHeeHaw

Those comparisons are completely off subject here. We're not building homes, we're not installing a septic tanks. We're installing a walkway or patio. Having someone empty their garage of their cars so we can empty the back of our pickup truck IS I repeat UNPROFESSIONAL. If you came to my place and said sir I need you to park your vette and audi outside for a week cause I have nowhere to keep my tools. I'd say take a hike and so would 90% of my customers. Maybe you guys are just workin for hillbillies that don't give a damn.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post

#DamnHillbilliesHeeHaw

Those comparisons are completely off subject here. We're not building homes, we're not installing a septic tanks. We're installing a walkway or patio. Having someone empty their garage of their cars so we can empty the back of our pickup truck IS I repeat UNPROFESSIONAL. If you came to my place and said sir I need you to park your vette and audi outside for a week cause I have nowhere to keep my tools. I'd say take a hike and so would 90% of my customers. Maybe you guys are just workin for hillbillies that don't give a damn. One of my last clients was totally pissed because his garage door was left open and a coat of dust covered everything. I couldn't imagine parking all my tools in there. I wouldn't have gotten the job in the first place if he knew I wanted to do that.