Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Guys enough bickering. I found the perfect solution while clearing out a yard today.
Plenty of room for tools and utilize it as a mobile office/apartment to cut down on travel.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Zeo- So its unprofessional to use a clients garage for woodworking?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Same mentality goes for Medium duty dump trucks, like the F-650 I have.

A hardscape business can be run just as efficiently, if not more efficiently without one.

A good 3/4 ton pick up and a 14,000 GVW dump trailer will be just as productive, if not more than our F-650. You can unhitch the trailer and leave it at the jobsite while the guys load trash and or spoils onto the trailer while you take the truck and run errands, go on estimates, etc. And I could go on and on listing more benefits.

Personally, I would not buy an enclosed trailer for hardscaping. More gas to be consumed. Loading and unloading time consumed each day at each job. Mobilization logistics such as - getting the enclosed trailer to the job all while getting the skiddy bopper to the job at the same time. Here in the United States the hardscape industry has become extremely cut throat. Profit margins are minimal. Here in the United States the name of the game is to run as lean as possible, cut out as much fat as possible. This enables the contractor to offer lower prices, which in turn closes sales, which in turn puts food on your table.

Seriously, I'd get a one ton dually van with a box on the back (Hertz) before I'd get an enclosed trailer. Cause then you could pull a trailer behind it.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The only enclosed trailers we have are for our hardscaping crews. They get on the job, stay there with our logo/graphic wraps on then while the job is in progress and leave when we are done. For the jobs we do, it's not so much the big things they hold like tampers and hand tool, but the small things like PVC fittings for when they hit a line, lighting cable, tapcon screws etc. saves many trips to Home Depot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I used to work for a company quite a few years ago, a small family owned landscape/hardscape construction company, he had a 5500 dump truck with a 16' enclosed car hauler trailer we converted into his hardscape/site trailer. The thing held every tool he owned, and the Toro dingo. I mean he had a generator, table saw w/ stand, shelving for poly sand and edging, tool racks, a roof rack for lumber, pipes storage for screeding and still had enough room to put the dingo inside and tow around. He had his logo and company name plastered on all four sides with phone number, big enough you could literally see it a half mile away. We parked it at every hardscape job we did, I know he got a lot of calls and interest from people that saw it in their neighborhood, most likely got a job or two from those people.
I know for him it worked well, we loved it, we had a fold up table and chairs in there for lunch time, and we put a microwave and heater in there for cold rainy work days. He also thought it was highly unprofessional to leave ANY tools out on the property over night. He said it looked bad and painted a poor image of the company, we used to work in high end rural neighborhoods.

The company I am with now, the brick crew has a 16' Isuzu box van with a lift gate. Again, holds every tool they need, stores poly sand, hand tools, brick saws, a couple of tampers, shelving and so on. This works pretty well for the company too. The guys in the van are just brick layers, when they show up to the job everything is already prepped and ready to go for them, they come in and lay pavers/brick, cut it in, finish and move onto the next job. Never need to tow anything with it, probably couldn't if they wanted to anyways. Most of the jobs they do are commercial and can't leave any of the gas engine tools onsite.

to each their own I guess.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

dvs if a company doesnt have an enclosed trailer, where do they store their equipment when they are not working? Are they required to rent storage space?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Where do you guys put the trailer? Driveway , street, lawn? Most towns here have no overnight street parking
Old 06-17-2013, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Painting with a broad brush doesn't work. Some clients are ok with tools being left out or their garage being "borrowed". We will often leave larger items out such as tamps and sometimes even the wetsaw. All other tools get put away in the trailer. Our hardscape jobs can consist of carpentry, electrical, plumbing and more. The cost of travel time back to the shop or to the store to pick up the one thing you forgot or didn't expect to need more times than not will offset the cost of towing a trailer especially on jobs lasting for a few days. Also having little johnny hurting himself with a shovel or rake I left leaning against a house is not professional in my opinion
Old 06-17-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Trailers are usually left on the road, if the neighbourhood is bad, it goes back to the shop. Last job we did, we spend 2 and 1/2 weeks there. The client was out of town the entire time. We kept the trailer on thier driveway.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Can you guys post some pics of how these are set up? ETWMAN had a nice setup in his roll off storage boxes