Register free!

Old 06-17-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Can you guys post some pics of how these are set up? ETWMAN had a nice setup in his roll off storage boxes
Here is our trailer on site from our last pool project. Look how shiny that 121 is! lol Just took delivery of it that day and I was snapping a picture before it got coated in mud. I'll try to find an inside pic of it.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2013, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Same mentality goes for Medium duty dump trucks, like the F-650 I have.

A hardscape business can be run just as efficiently, if not more efficiently without one.

A good 3/4 ton pick up and a 14,000 GVW dump trailer will be just as productive, if not more than our F-650. You can unhitch the trailer and leave it at the jobsite while the guys load trash and or spoils onto the trailer while you take the truck and run errands, go on estimates, etc. And I could go on and on listing more benefits.

Personally, I would not buy an enclosed trailer for hardscaping. More gas to be consumed. Loading and unloading time consumed each day at each job. Mobilization logistics such as - getting the enclosed trailer to the job all while getting the skiddy bopper to the job at the same time. Here in the United States the hardscape industry has become extremely cut throat. Profit margins are minimal. Here in the United States the name of the game is to run as lean as possible, cut out as much fat as possible. This enables the contractor to offer lower prices, which in turn closes sales, which in turn puts food on your table.

Seriously, I'd get a one ton dually van with a box on the back (Hertz) before I'd get an enclosed trailer. Cause then you could pull a trailer behind it.

This would work well if you only run one crew..
Old 06-21-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Should I leave my tools on the job?

Funny I was thinking about this the other day. I worked for a company where we had a e350 van, now I work for a company where I have a Ranger. Two of the biggest advantages for me having an enclosed trailer would be keeping things dry (Pacific Northwest) and keeping things secure. How many times have you had to run to the hardware store down the road for one misc. thing and had to shuffle a bunch of stuff from the back of the truck to the cab? Whoever is driving has to know how to handle the trailer with a vehicle. Seems common sense until my boss moved a guy onto our install crew and he had a c4500 kodiak and out big dump trailer and just driving to the job he backed into someone and sideswiped a contractor's truck. Also depends on the work, we seem to always play 'shuffle the tools' in the morning between our 250, kodiaks, dump trailer and landscape trailer. Gotta have a vehicle to tow it around. Seems like common sense but sometimes the trailer get dropped off at the jobsite and then you bring the Ranger out to the job to save gas and forget its there or scheduling changes. Just my two cents
Old 06-22-2013, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
The next problem with the covered trailer is at the end of the day you're loading everything into it.

Return the next morning and unload.

Finish at the end of the day and load.

Return the next morning and unload.

Finish at the end of the day and load.

That's absurd!

We just stand the shovels up against the house and be on our merry way.

If it's a walkway in the front of the house (more visible) - then we stash the tamper and saw behind the shrubbery.

Really, the only positive I see to using an enclosed trailer is the advertising benefit, the lettering on the sides. Other than that, you're just complicating the logistics. Tugging that thing back and forth everyday. Loading and unloading. Something else prone to random roadside DOT inspections. Annual tire purchases. Another unit that needs washed and cleaned. Brakes to upkeep. When we pull our racing trailer the tow vehicle guzzles fuel, so that's a negative.

Looks so cool. Too many complications. Not a necessity.
If you have an enclosed, why would you drag it away to and from?
Lock the door, wheels and hitch,and have your stuff there.

I can't afford an enc. trailer, so I just run a chain through all the handles and bases with a couple locks on it around the corner out of sight.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 06-23-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape View Post
If you have an enclosed, why would you drag it away to and from?
Lock the door, wheels and hitch,and have your stuff there.

I can't afford an enc. trailer, so I just run a chain through all the handles and bases with a couple locks on it around the corner out of sight.
You can do anything you want, despite what the other Andrew (zedo) says. I'm even ok with you taking your kid to work.

Does the customer's property have enough space to leave a trailer? If its a 1/4 acre property, would it be ok sitting in the street along the curb for the duration of the job?

During the recession we had a few jobs where they were on properties with multiples acres and we left the dump truck there to conserve fuel consumption.

"Ranger"? Unless you're Job Is meeting with clients and estimating, or a manager, the Hardscape industry hasn't much use for a ranger. My company vehicle is a S-10

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 06-23-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape View Post

.......I can't afford an enc. trailer........
And neither can most of the guys that have them

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do need a place to poo sometimes

$3800 + wrap is expensive porta potty/ billboard

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 06-23-2013, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Many guy that venture into hardscapes are former residential lawn cutters.

So they go from having to mow 60 lawns in a week to bring home $2000.00 to selling $11k patios that are completed in 6 days.

They think money grows on trees.

The key to business is to spend as little possible. To make a profit. Not work for the banks.

If you are able to buy an enclosed trailer without borrowing the money - then it's probably not a bad move.

But if you need to get a loan or borrow from your home equity - then you're making a big mistake. Going into debt over something that you absolutely can function just fine without.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Throw the shovels and rakes in the bucket of the skid. Put the wheel barrow over the packer. Saw and bag of hand tools in the back of the truck and let's take it to the house. Keep it simple
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCthes4:11-12 View Post
Throw the shovels and rakes in the bucket of the skid. Put the wheel barrow over the packer. Saw and bag of hand tools in the back of the truck and let's take it to the house. Keep it simple
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly!
Posted via Mobile Device