Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacd View Post
I thought I would add to this thread because every one else has. I am in the excavating, site work business.
Different then you guys but a lot alike also. We use cargo trailers because of the need for stuff you didn't even know you needed.
I used to keep my tools in a pick up truck with tool boxes, still use the truck with the tool boxes but most everything is in trailer.

Every night when we would get back to the shop we would have to unload truck and reload truck for the next day. Then if we used the truck to go to a store for some reason we would be concerned than the demo saw, or gas can or something would be stolen out of the truck at some gas station.
The trailers are 7 x14 used for around $2000.00 so not a huge investment and we would never go back. We also use a F450 flat bed truck with tool boxes as a daily driver for what ever that is worth.
Attachment 274579

Attachment 274580

Attachment 274582

Thank you for validating your comment with photos

You know - you can buy a retired Verizon truck, 1.5 ton dually with utility body for $2000 - $3500.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeslayer View Post
I would love to but, I rarely see the trailers in the summer because they just go from job to job. No need to come back to the shop and load up miscellaneous tools. Each crew has everything they need in there. They even have microwaves to heat up the tacos.
I'm still calling BS.

Unless you do commercial work - you're telling us that all these properties you work at have the space to set a trailer off the street and safely out of the way?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I'm still calling BS.

Unless you do commercial work - you're telling us that all these properties you work at have the space to set a trailer off the street and safely out of the way?
Posted via Mobile Device
The company I worked for before used trailers and we just left them on the street for weeks to months at a time with no problems.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I'm still calling BS.

Posted via Mobile Device
I totally believe what Drake says, our trailer is almost never at our shop, its parked on the jobsite and goes to the next. Really the only time it goes to the shop is if we finish a job on a friday afternoon.
After owning my larger one for 7 yrs its never needed brakes or a change of tires. Try that with a cargo van or utility truck.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I say just try it Andrew and then you can thank us later for the good info.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
I totally believe what Drake says, our trailer is almost never at our shop, its parked on the jobsite and goes to the next. Really the only time it goes to the shop is if we finish a job on a friday afternoon.
After owning my larger one for 7 yrs its never needed brakes or a change of tires. Try that with a cargo van or utility truck.
I do not believe Drake. No pics, then we call BS If you got the good, lay them out!

People always believe in what they invest. Very seldom do you hear someone say "it seemed like a good idea at the time, but......." primarily because they haven't really thought about it after the fact.

Zedo - you had mentioned previously that you know little about mechanics.

If your tires are 7 yrs old - they are most likely dry-rotted now buddy Sometimes you gotta look real close to see the cracking, usually on the sidewalls near the tread.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Knowledge of mechanics and being observant are two separate things.
Each spring every piece of licenced vehicle gets a safety. Was all good this year. Trust me the guy I bring it too is in the business of selling parts and making money, he knows I'm anal about keeping equipment in good order. If my tires were shot, they'd be replaced.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We go both routes depending on the job type, size, time frame, and availability. The current site we are on is a large patio, deck, kitchen as well as a re-grade of about 400tons. It's a small site and our staging area is real compact. With the timing here we need all tools on site. We work on the patio/walls for a day, then might work on clearing trees for a day, then back to the patio. Normally we would have a 22, enclosed on site for all tools, lighter materials and dingo/attachments, but since the site size is limited we are using a number of job boxes. The boxes, wheel barrows, rake/shovels etc are easily stored under an existing deck out of view.

If we were loading and unloading e erythema as needed each day, it would easily add a good man hour on ea day. Now something smaller like an irrigation install or a simple 3 day walkway/patio install, everything is loaded up each day. Another issue we face is that we are based about 25 minutes (w/o traffic) south of Boston, 95% of our work is in the city. Driving in anywhere from 7am-9:30am, that 25min ride can easily be 90+ minutes, add in even more time if we are pulling a trailer. It is often much better for us to work abnormal day, but only transport the equipment after hours.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Thank you for validating your comment with photos

You know - you can buy a retired Verizon truck, 1.5 ton dually with utility body for $2000 - $3500.
Posted via Mobile Device
Companies here use those vans but you have another vehicle to put on the road. They also would leave them at the job site. If we were to use vans I would want to leave it at the job. Most of the time we already have more vehicles than drivers.

I go to every utility auction we have. Two a year with over 3000 people attending and those trucks go for around $7000 to $10000. Even if you buy the body and put it on truck you have another truck on the road, large daily drivers and not as efficient as a trailer, I now this from experience, remember we use F450 flat beds. Even with that truck and the space it has it is still not as good a designated site trailer.

One day jobs, we would us the truck only. One week or more the trailer is best.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I do not believe Drake. No pics, then we call BS If you got the good, lay them out!

People always believe in what they invest. Very seldom do you hear someone say "it seemed like a good idea at the time, but......." primarily because they haven't really thought about it after the fact.

Zedo - you had mentioned previously that you know little about mechanics.

If your tires are 7 yrs old - they are most likely dry-rotted now buddy Sometimes you gotta look real close to see the cracking, usually on the sidewalls near the tread.
I have pics just don't know how to share them. I do know that at 7 a.m. My guys are producing and not driving.