Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-14-2013, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Cub Cadet 33" walk behind-NEED HELP

I just purchased this Cub Cadet 760 33" walk behind and now im learning the information I should have gathered prior to making my purchase. Money was an issue here so..... Anyhow, I have read some comments on how to adjust the RPM for a faster blade and some suggestions to replace the factory 2 in 1 blades. I have since ordered the gator G3 mulching blade because I usually mow twice a week and just knock ogg about 1.2 to 3.4 of an inch and I do NOT like to bag. POne guy on here suggested he made some modifications to his deck, the level or angle act, and some other mods and his cuts amazingly. He will not share his mods. Can anyone help me out here. I am willing to do anything it takes to set this thing up to its best ability but I need some knowledge on the basics.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well the deck needs a front pitch of 1/4", or less actually because its only a 36. The gators will help it out with clippings. The only way to speed up engine speed and increase the speed of the pulley is to mess with the governor spring, but I wouldn't get too crazy with that. Did you buy the mower new? You could have bought a serious used commercial 36" for a similar price if so... But that's neither here nor there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2013, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Member

its 33 inch and yes I purchased it new. I will play around with it in a few minutes and see about lowering the front 1/4 or raising the back 1/4 in total. I am trying to re-craft the raising handle of the deck to I can achieve a 4 inch cut verses a 3.25 cut. I have a nice thick tall fescue and bluegrass lawn. I would also like to increase the RPM a tad bit but not sure how to do this. I hope this mulching blade made by Gator will make a HUGE difference for me as I cut twice a week and love mowing now. Each cut is only about 3/4 to 1/2 of an inch with the mulching plug in.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are you mulching or side-discharging?
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 06-15-2013, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Right now I just want to mulch 1/2 inch off twice a week
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2013, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are you saying your turf only grows 1"/week?? I'm mowing anywhere from 3"-6"+ off my weekly accounts...but this isn't Pennsylvania.

The Gators (3 in 1) will more thoroughly shred the clippings than a standard blade. They will help...and I hope they're miraculous for you...but don't hold your breath.

Side-discharging will deliver an even better, smoother cut...but you'll have clippings/discharge to contend with. I understand folks' desire to mulch...but I always refer to mulching as a great theory. It just cannot leave as nice a cut as side-discharging (or bagging). I hate bagging too...and side-discharge over 95% of my season.

Mulching-wise, you will have better results going over your lawn 2/week. In the early Spring, Apr-May you'll likely need to mulch 3x/week. Wet conditions are a mulchers' nightmare...and Gators aren't too fond of wet grass either. But come leaf season, Gators are a mulching-man's true blessing.
~ Josh Billings
Old 06-15-2013, 02:29 AM
LawnSite Member

I prob cut 1 inch each time who knows but it doesn't seem like much. Are you saying that the side discharge would make a better cut ? Like overall appearance would be better. Where would all those clippings go eventually. The idea is to not bag. I hate bagging.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2013, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Any pictures of the machine and the cut it leaves?
Old 06-15-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Well its the cub cadet 760 33 inch walk behind. If you good that info it will come up. It leaves an ok cut I guess. This is my first upgrade from the old craftsman push mower, which with the bag, was an awesome cut. I am just tired of bagging and taking an hour to cut. Now this machine is allowing me to cut without bagging in about 15 mins.

There are NO adjustments other than the deck height. The max height is about 3 1/2 at the blades edge with a bent/lift blade or mulcher blade. I could increase the cut height by putting a low filet/ straight blade, but then id be leaving awful clumps of grass under the mower and strictly limited to side shoot mowing, and again, with this mower I dont think a flat low lift blade is going to work. Most likely leave a messy finish and probably awful for bagging.

The deck depth is unfortunately 3 3/4 in total depth so NOT the best for mulching but for the money I paid, 1,100 I think this is the best mower im gonna get and can afford.

I was able to bend the metal on the throttle to give me just a tad bt more RPM which is nice as its only a 344 cc 10 HP brigs engine.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-16-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Try side-discharging for the heck of it. You could first mulch the areas where you're concerned about clippings.

Mulching results in more stringers/stragglers due to less vacuum to stand the grass blades UP before cutting. You'll want to keep your blades sharp as mulching degrades the edge fastest.

Mulching in dewy/moist/wet conditions will diminish the quality of cut.

Overall, mulching takes longer because it requires a slower pace to optimize the cut...which will never be as nice as side-discharging (or bagging). Yes, there will be some shredded clippings on the surface, but if you'll be mowing 2x/week I think you'll appreciate the 'overall quality' when you're done. You'll save time and money...cuz side-discharging is faster and also easier on your engine/fuel usage.
~ Josh Billings