Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2013, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

wow that's messed up. you should be making that much every day working solo. i can make $250 a day and only work 5-6hrs.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Forgot to mention, i do have a website. It brings in a few customers now and then, I'm currently in the process of revamping it some to try to make it more prominent on search engines.

Sound like a lot of folks are in the same boat as me. I guess for now patience is a virtue. I've got a good core group of customers now that have been with me a long time and aren't going anywhere.

I'm not going to succumb to mowing for $15-20, the quality of customer at that price range is poor anyway. Low retention and usually hard to get paid.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you say you're doing 5k flyers per month. I know Wichita is a decent sized placed, but still that sounds like you could be marketing to the wrong crowd. A few years ago I spent basically the entire month of January and focused on the upper-mid class and higher class areas around here (which happen to be in a 4 county region). It has paid off well for us. Sometimes to grow, you have to get out of your comfort area too....
Old 06-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Sponsor

Nice post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Back in the day "it was the economy stupid"

Just keep advertising and be patient. And remember many people throw out fake low prices trying to get a green LCO to match or beat them. Do not fall for that trick. You know your costs. You know the profit you have to turn.

Awesome answer. Let's hope everyone knows the cost to do the job and the profit they want to make. And remember everyone..... You do not pay yourself from profit. Your salary is an expense to your company.
"Where PROFIT IS NOT A DIRTY WORD"
How to bid mowing and landscaping jobs
Manuals & CDs Available to help you make your Business more PROFITABLE & PROFESSIONAL
800-845-0499
Louisville, KY
Since 1979
Old 06-17-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's going to be harder to find new customers this late in the season, but they are out there. People who don't want to mow in the heat/humidity. People who aren't satisfied with their current LCO. People who just haven't started mowing yet.

If you want to get new clients right now, keep the free ads running on craigslist. Keep an attractive sign on your trailer gate and magnets on your truck. And ASK. People will not buy from you if you don't ask them to. Personally, I'd target an area I'd like to work and put door hangers out. There is all the work in the world available to all of us who want it.

You see an LCO loading up their equipment after a job...walk over with a couple of handfuls of ice cold bottled water and introduce yourself. Don't take up their time, but do throw out your business card and offer a cash incentive for any accounts they're willing to throw your way. Do the same with treatment companies. And when they do call you, get that cash in their hands that same day.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Everyone in this thread has hit the nail on the head. There are so many people that once had their grass cut doing it themselves, because of the finanacial situation. Along with that are all of the moonlighters that have a craftsman and a ryobi trimmer and a pickup truck and now they're landscapers. A lot of it can be traced back to the economical dump a few years ago. Like everyone else on here stated, keep advertising, get a website, and be patient. Don't lower your prices to be competitive with these moonlighters. Eventually, they will quit when their riding lawn mower breaks and they can't afford to fix/replace it. Inzane, I found your post earlier quite amusing, because I had found a guy the other day advertising as Northwest Florida Landservices offering $15 cuts under an acre. I actually had people call me(Northwest Florida Landscaping) asking about these $15 cuts and I explained to them that they had called the wrong "business" and I would be happy to take a look at their property, but also explained to them that I don't drop a gate on the trailer for less than $25(and that's for an up and back with a push mower kind of lawn).
2013 Kubota L3200
2013 eXmark 60" Lazer Z X-series
2013 eXmark 60" Lazer Z E-series
2013 eXmark Commercial 30"
2009 eXmark Turf Tracer 48"
Echo/Stihl peripherals