Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Letter to customers stating Resigning???

Hey I was wondering if anyone has already created a letter to their customers about resigning lawn maintenance for them..

We have finally made the decision that we are going to get out of the Residential lawn maintenance so we can focus more on High end resi landscaping and our full service Commercial accounts. As I drum up a letter i Was hoping someone had done one already and would post it or give some suggestions as to what i should include in mine!

Any CONSTRUCTIVE input would be golden!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

why not try and sell the clients?
otherwise i would just send a letter stating that as we are changing the direction and focus of our business we will no longer be able to service your lawn from --- date and try to give them at least 1-2 mows notice unless they were a total pita then i just wouldn't turn up
if you know anyone who does a good job and wants more clients and your not interested in selling them you could also supply he client with their phone number as a good will gesture
Old 06-15-2013, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No, I have not written a letter exactly like this but...

I think you have already written the meat and potatoes part of it if you just clean up the part below a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor-cut View Post
We have finally made the decision that we are going to get out of the Residential lawn maintenance so we can focus more on High end resi landscaping and our full service Commercial accounts.
When I write anything that will take more than one sitting, I try to write down everything I am thinking then take out the parts I don't mean and anything the recipient does not need to know (or may not care to know).

Beyond that, thank them and if you have anyone to recommend offer to do so (or just do it). If I am the customer being dropped I don't think I would feel compelled to use the new company if you sold my account to them.

You have to decide how fast you want out and if there are any circumstances under which you would continue a few more mows/weeks/months. Maybe for pre-pays?

Generally, no matter how much people like your service they don't care too much about how your decision affects you, they want to know unambiguously how it affects them. I would probably close with a sentence indicating that you understand this may inconvenience them, say you are sorry about that, and thank them again.

The whole thing should be shorter than my post here. Three short paragraphs and 6-8 sentences total. Good luck with it.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just raise the prices and the ones that stay become the high in resi I want.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the input.. I'll probably send them out in the fall. Been thinking about it and believe its not too good of an idea to drop the non- prepays July 1.
Been thinking about selling but them i cant simply wash my hands of it.. i don't want to hear about it haha