Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2011, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle: Trouble Starting

25 HP Generac. Purchased 2006; Has 140 Hrs.

Replaced Battery last season and have noticed a situation where it has trouble starting.

All red lights come on, but I have to fiddle with the starter/key in order to get it to fire up. I noticed readings on the small (LED?) screen telling me amps, etc.... but it really feels/seems like there is something wrong with the starter.

Based on age and fact I've babied this thing, what do you think i should start with first?

I'm sure i left out a detail that is necessary to answer the question, so go easy on me; I'm a newbie.....
Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

does it trun over and over and wont fire off
Or does just click and click when turn the key

What seat does it have they had problems with some seat switches/relays
Old 05-10-2011, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

When I turn the key, the red lights come on and i hear maybe one click or no clicks (motor not turning over at that point); But i do hear the idiot alarms/beeps.

Then i'll turn back left and back right over and over until it seems to make a good connection and then the motor will turn and we're good to go.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

On the bottom of the starter solenoid there's a smaller wire plugged on with a spade connector, Un-plug this wire and test it for battery voltage each time you turn the key to start position. Use a multimeter or automotive test light for testing.

If you have voltage each and every time on this wire the starter/solenoid is likely the issue.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Might be the ignition switch....The plastic switch they use is built pretty cheaply.
Its the same one they use in riding lawnmowers. When the rainy season kicks up , I,ll sell a bunch of them. They dont like moisture.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

(1) If starter/selenoid: That sounds like something I probably cannot do myself.

(1) if ignition switch (and this mower did get hit by a moisture problem after we had hot water pipe burst this past winter; took a direct hit from 'endless hotwater' for about 2 hours): Is that pretty easy to change out? Looks like just 4 sheet metal screws up by the ignition and read out panel on drivers right side.....
Anything I should keep in mind before I do a swap (unplug from battery, etc.)?

Wondering if i should just try to find a switch locally instead of going directly to a dixie chopper parts house.

Thanks a bunch for helping this idiot navigate the machine
Old 05-10-2011, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Disconnect the battery cable
The switch just snaps in .....Sometimes it doesnt want to just snap out....sometimes it does. Be careful working around stainless....very sharp edges.

I had a feeling it was moisture related....
Thanks for the gravy RestroRob....no dry buscuits today.

Last edited by piston slapper; 05-10-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: customer service
Old 05-10-2011, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Thanks for the gravy RestroRob....no dry buscuits today.

Hey..... No problemo PS.....

Ya left some in the pan !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ching-A-Ling View Post
Wondering if i should just try to find a switch locally instead of going directly to a dixie chopper parts house.

No matter where you get a new switch, Take the old one with you and make SURE the letters stamped in the post are in the same configuration on the new one.

There are many switches that LOOK alike but the post are stamped different, I've replaced a few $300 plus wire harness's due to the wrong switch being installed.

BTW PS, I have this bad habit of testing/checking things before I replace them....

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-12-2011, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ching-A-Ling View Post
When I turn the key, the red lights come on and i hear maybe one click or no clicks (motor not turning over at that point); But i do hear the idiot alarms/beeps.

Then i'll turn back left and back right over and over until it seems to make a good connection and then the motor will turn and we're good to go.
I agree totally with Rob about checking parts both ways to sunday before replacing them. With the hours on the mower (140) the starter is probably not the problem ......also....Ching-a-Ling seemed to perform a pretty good test on the ignition switch. To ask a novice how to check continuity and pin voltages on an ignition switch could cause more harm than good. I still havent figured out the safety module on silver eagles.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Earlier this week i took a canned air approach to it; I sprayed down in the ignition switch (wondering if there was moisture, etc.); I choked the motor and turned the key; started on first twist.

I'll try that again later today to see if maybe it is switch related. It really did take a hot shower bath for 2 hours this winter (would figure that the sheetrock would open up right above my chopper); we aren't used to 17degrees here in Texas..... and my mower took it in the shorts, on the seat, over the motor, etc...