Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-16-2013, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking for advice to fill in openings in landscape

Hey everyone, I was hunting around Google for information on landscape design and found this site. I'm hoping that you guys might be able to give me some advice on my project.

First, let me say that I do all of my own landscape work as a hobby and a way to relax, so I'm not looking to hire work out. It's not because I want to take money away from anyone but rather it's how I unwind on the weekends after my boring office job so I don't want to give that up.

That said, I've owned the property I'm working on for 2.5 years and it's in Sussex Country New Jersey which puts it in zone 6A. It's 2.25 acres with one acre that was wild and uncleared. I've been working on cleanup for that area as well as sorely needed maintenance for the neglected yard since I purchased the property. Here are some before/after from when I moved in to today:

There are more before/after images in this short video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58JFJcMsh3o

So....here's my issue: I've just cleaned up a large piece pf land as you can see in the photos above. I have already planned fore the installation of some spruce, hemlock and cedar trees to fill in portions of the tree line, and I'm seeding grass now. BUT, I'm having a lot of difficulty deciding on shrubs, perennials, etc for border color and screening. There are also some plants like the leggy inkberry holly shubs near the house that need replaced due to the neglect of the previous owners.

I could really use suggestions on selecting replacements or new installations. I know this is a big, open question but I'm hoping you folks have some pointers you can give me. Thanks for reading!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to post picture's that fit this website. Three of your pic's didn't make it at all and the other two are too big. Use this site to resize JPG's to 800 x 600.

http://www.irfanview.com/