Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-04-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Member

What mower for this lawn?

It's time to invest in a new mower, the old lawn-boy's are flat wearing out and parts are getting harder and harder to find. Granted they date back to the small lawn service I ran in College 2 careers and a lifetime ago! I have about an acre, mostly on a wicked slope, which I currently mow with a 21" self-prop lawn-boy commercial. I would like to get something bigger, due to the slope I would say a z-turn is NOT an option,thinking a 36-48 hydro walk behind, again not sure if this is a viable option due to the slope. Part of the lawn is VERY thick,other areas are thinner (mostly weeds LOL). Of course my friend suggested putting duals on my 317, but he's not wrapped real tight!
One issue I will have is dealer network, I live in a rural area with few commercial dealers!

I have attached some pictures , ignore the remodeling leavings in the one pic!
Thanks in advance for any advice /suggestions!
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2013, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'd definitely try to set myself up a demo for a hydro walk. See if you have any Snapper Pro dealers within an acceptable range and try an SW30.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

A hydro should do fine, you will have to get used to turning on a slope but it will work!
Old 7x14 open equipment trailer
5x8 Texas trailers utility trailer (soon to have racks!)
Echo srm 225 Trimmer
Echo pas w/edger att.
Echo pb500h
A tube of grease and some gas!
Still wishin for that Scag Wildcat!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have you tried using you 317 on it? A box store zero turn would not like it, I do a lake property that is that same grade if not alittle steeper with my kubota zd326. It takes some getting use to, I've put my ztr on a 45 degress slope before. I garantee you 317 would not flip. A guy in my area mows his 40ft 50 degree bank with a old sears mower fabricated with duals hahahaha. A hydro walk behind would be a piece of cake.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

JC, I have taken the 317 up the hill, on an angle from pic #3. Deck wasn't on, just the 4-way plow to push some cuttings into a pile. Not real fun on some of the steeper parts. Now that I think of it, never had the deck on the 317 - I haven't even put the PTO back on since I repowered it 2 years ago. I have it primarily for keeping the driveway clear in the winter.

I used to do 3 lawns like this plus a couple more smaller ones in a day and not think much of it. As I said, that was 2 careers and MANY years ago - although I seem to be holding up better than the mowers.

So far I have found an Exmark dealer, no luck with Snapper Pro.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 07-06-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmikeo View Post
JC, I have taken the 317 up the hill, on an angle from pic #3. Deck wasn't on, just the 4-way plow to push some cuttings into a pile. Not real fun on some of the steeper parts. Now that I think of it, never had the deck on the 317 - I haven't even put the PTO back on since I repowered it 2 years ago. I have it primarily for keeping the driveway clear in the winter.

I used to do 3 lawns like this plus a couple more smaller ones in a day and not think much of it. As I said, that was 2 careers and MANY years ago - although I seem to be holding up better than the mowers.

So far I have found an Exmark dealer, no luck with Snapper Pro.

Thanks again for the advice!
I have have used a 420 on steeper hills, and we use to have a 400 and that did steep hills. It would feel better with the deck on than off.
Posted via Mobile Device