Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

How to set the deck and blades properly for stripes.

I'm cutting at 2 1/2 front of my blade and 2 3/4 back of the blade. The deck is 2 inches off the ground I want to leave better stripes and cut around 3 inches. Would I raise the blades inside the deck or just raise the whole deck. Is it better for stripes for the blades to be higher up inside the deck or the opposite. Also what's the ideal height to cut in md. It's is my first year I have around 15 houses a week. Also the mower is a 36 inch snapper pro with mulching blades.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I can leave stripes at every deck height setting I have... There are numerous ways to leave stripes behind also. You have to have something "brushing" the grass to lay it over.

Before the deck or after. After gives better results for me. One way to to pull a roller behind, it's kind of cumbersome but it'll lean the grass over. Another way to that I have done one on a 36" lawn tractor was to attach an actual broom between the rear wheels, this worked really good, until my brackets fell off. One way that works "kinda sorta" is to put a piece of lawn/garden black plastic garden edging on the rear of your deck. Have it about 2" lower than the bottom edge, that dragging behind works ok. Another neat way, pretty laborsome to get installed though, is to do it how Dixie Chopper does it, with chains dragging behind the deck. This method is used in pretty much every brush hog type of mower on the rear. The best stripes I have ever seen are caused by rollers on the rear or trailing edge of the deck.

Look at some videos that hustler has done about the deck height/blade height difference. It's more or less about air flow, not really striping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1USlfDA7J40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztHyjMhY39w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyFlAwsLXSA
https://www.google.com/search?q=dixi...w=1346&bih=828
Old 06-17-2013, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I just went and remeasured. The blades are at 2 1/2 front and back so perfectly leavel. The deck is at 2 1/4 front and 2 back. I really don't want to drag anything behind me for the fact some yards are bumpy and going in reverse could be dangerous. Basically for stripes should I raise lower my deck or just the blades for better striping. And should my rake be level I've heard the front of the blades should angle slightly.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have found its best to have the pitch set at 1/4"(down in the front)measured at the blades. Also the higher you cut the better the stripes, so raise the deck(cutting height).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I can raise the blades in the deck or the whole deck. This was the plane raise the blades 2 spacers 1/2 inch then lower the front wheels a spacer 1/4 inch. Should that be about right.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rll131 View Post
I can raise the blades in the deck or the whole deck. This was the plane raise the blades 2 spacers 1/2 inch then lower the front wheels a spacer 1/4 inch. Should that be about right.
That should do the trick!! Just double check the pitch at the blade tips when your done.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help one last ? the higher the blades inside the deck will it create more suction for the rear of the deck to matte down?
Old 06-17-2013, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rll131 View Post
Thanks for the help one last ? the higher the blades inside the deck will it create more suction for the rear of the deck to matte down?
Honestly I dont know how raising the blades inside the deck affects lift. General rule of thumb is 1/4" pitch and a higher mowing height gives the best cut quality.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks again. Appreciate it.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Honestly I dont know how raising the blades inside the deck affects lift. General rule of thumb is 1/4" pitch and a higher mowing height gives the best cut quality.
Posted via Mobile Device
I meant best stripes not cut quality. Sorry.
Posted via Mobile Device