Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rll131 View Post
I'm cutting at 2 1/2 front of my blade and 2 3/4 back of the blade. The deck is 2 inches off the ground I want to leave better stripes and cut around 3 inches. Would I raise the blades inside the deck or just raise the whole deck. Is it better for stripes for the blades to be higher up inside the deck or the opposite. Also what's the ideal height to cut in md. It's is my first year I have around 15 houses a week. Also the mower is a 36 inch snapper pro with mulching blades.
I'm in Northern Virginia. I cut with the front tip of the blade at 3.75 inches and the back edge of the blade at 4.0 inches. That's our standard cut height. On certain lawns we cut lower... if the owner asks for it... but I try to dissuade them. I cut at that height because it keeps the lawn green throughout the season - no summer burn, it keeps the weeds out and the lawn healthy, it keeps the mowers running every week, and it keeps my bank account growing.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I'm cutting at 2 1/2 front of my blade and 2 3/4 back of the blade. The deck is 2 inches off the ground I want to leave better stripes and cut around 3 inches. Would I raise the blades inside the deck or just raise the whole deck. Is it better for stripes for the blades to be higher up inside the deck or the opposite. Also what's the ideal height to cut in md. It's is my first year I have around 15 houses a week. Also the mower is a 36 inch snapper pro with mulching blades.
Mulching blades never give the best looking stripe. Get a set of regular high lifts, cut at a minimum of 3" front of blade (higher is better for striping since there's more of the grass blade to bend in the direction of travel) and pitch the blades properly as GMLC said, for the best stripe affect.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rll131 View Post
i'm cutting at 2 1/2 front of my blade and 2 3/4 back of the blade. The deck is 2 inches off the ground i want to leave better stripes and cut around 3 inches. Would i raise the blades inside the deck or just raise the whole deck. Is it better for stripes for the blades to be higher up inside the deck or the opposite. Also what's the ideal height to cut in md. It's is my first year i have around 15 houses a week. Also the mower is a 36 inch snapper pro with mulching blades.
i cut no lower than 3 3/4 here in nj.. I cant imagine cutting that low, but it may be different there.. High lift blades and 3/8 pitch is how i run my bobcats..( if you like stripes, buy bobcats, no other mower compares, unless you put on a stripe kit, but then lawns look ridiculous..
Old 06-18-2013, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Mulching blades never give the best looking stripe. Get a set of regular high lifts, cut at a minimum of 3" front of blade (higher is better for striping since there's more of the grass blade to bend in the direction of travel) and pitch the blades properly as GMLC said, for the best stripe affect.
Absolutely true. When I run the Scag marbain high lifts, I get an excellent stripe. Lately we've been running Gator G6 and Gator G5 mulch blades and the stripe isn't nearly as nice.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
Absolutely true. When I run the Scag marbain high lifts, I get an excellent stripe. Lately we've been running Gator G6 and Gator G5 mulch blades and the stripe isn't nearly as nice.
Good point. I was talking about the regular wavy mulching blades when I typed that, but you are right on about the G6/5 blades. They do what they are intended to do, but they stripe about half as well as std high lifts, and are the main reason I don't use them as much as I used to.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Guess ill be investing in high lifts. Do any of you get complaints on the grass not being cut short enough? If so what do you say, I have a feeling one of my customers are going to ***** at 3 inch. Also are you mulching or side shooting your cuts
Old 06-18-2013, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Guess ill be investing in high lifts. Do any of you get complaints on the grass not being cut short enough? If so what do you say, I have a feeling one of my customers are going to ***** at 3 inch. Also are you mulching or side shooting your cuts
I don't go below 3 in ( I'm in VA) and I do have some complaints but I just tell them that is the lowest ill go. They are usually the cheap ones or they just don't know anything about turf management. I like 3.5 personally.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I mainly side discharge, but I have a JD MOD deck, so I can go back and forth easily.

If your customers complain tell them the benefits of cutting higher. It is to keep the grass healthier, and the soil temps a bit cooler, which helps the grass survive times of stress and drought much better.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Going to give it a try with the gator blades I have on. Ill post pics later of the nicest yard ill do today. Setup 3inch front 3 1/8-1/4 rear of the blade.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Not sure if pic showed up but what a difference the setup makes. Thanks again.
Attached Images