Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

adjusting valves, what a pain

kawi fd731v. Worst valve adjustment I've ever done. Its all easy to get to. Easy to find tdc. Its the actual adjustment that is hard. There is a bolt that goes thru the rocker arm with a cam style bushing in between. You spin the bolt which spins the cam, which tightens or loosens the rocker arm on the valve. The problem is when you tighten it down it either loosens or tightens past the .006. It was close several times, but I dont do close. I'm ocd so someone else may not be as precise as me? Another thing. All valve adjustments I've done before, and I've done alot, always have a range. Like .005 to .007. Why not this motor? I dont know. I'm just complaining.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I just did this on my FH 720 v 25 hp kawasaki and it was a pain but got it done.I set mine at .004.I had problems with it starting when it was hot,so I adjusted the valves (that were way off)and now problem solved .Good luck.
BR 600,Shindy eb 802,pb770
fs 90 r,km 90r,km100
9 hp little wonder push blower
19t ,310 stihl saws
tiller,chainsaw,edger,hedge clipper Kombi- attachments
hs 80
2003 F-350,7.3 on STEROIDS
24 ft enclosed trailer
7x14 ft Dump trailer
Old 06-18-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I got it done too, but I thought it was gonna be way easier. Weren't you worried about tightening it to much. I thought about .005 but didnt want to have any trouble. One of the intakes was at .008. The reason I did this was one day while mowing something just didnt sound right. I figured it was the valves. Glad I checked. I'm glad its done!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

maybe try setting it at .005 and then after you tighten it then it will be at .006

i dunno i hate valves. i'm like you and i'm ocd about it. i think it's impossible to get any valves set 100% correctly. just get them close and ur done. i would rather them be a tad tight than loose because they are gonna loosen up over time on their own. not too tight cuz kawi engines bend pushrods easily. mine already bent one at 299hrs. 1 hr before it was time to adjust the valves.

maybe aim to set it at .0055 and when you tighten it down it will be .006 or close to it.

next time i buy a mower i'm getting a kohler so i don't have to worry about it anymore.

Last edited by weeze; 06-18-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's nothing. Wait till you try adjusting them on the new FX engines. They are on offset fulcrum you rotate and then have to lock down Major PITA!!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Smear a little oil on the feeler gauge before adjusting...you'll get a better read on the adjustment..
Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

'Nuther trick/tip is to keep the locking nut or screw very snug ( almost tight ) when adjusting. That way ya don't lose /gain too much on final tightening/locking. I just barely loosen the locks.

......AMF!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
maybe try setting it at .005 and then after you tighten it then it will be at .006

i dunno i hate valves. i'm like you and i'm ocd about it. i think it's impossible to get any valves set 100% correctly. just get them close and ur done. i would rather them be a tad tight than loose because they are gonna loosen up over time on their own. not too tight cuz kawi engines bend pushrods easily. mine already bent one at 299hrs. 1 hr before it was time to adjust the valves.

maybe aim to set it at .0055 and when you tighten it down it will be .006 or close to it.

next time i buy a mower i'm getting a kohler so i don't have to worry about it anymore.
I remember reading about that. I dont know about a kohler, I like my kwacker pretty good. My luck I'll get a kohler and the flush handle will brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpcut 1 View Post
That's nothing. Wait till you try adjusting them on the new FX engines. They are on offset fulcrum you rotate and then have to lock down Major PITA!!!!
Sounds like fun. Just like slamming your head with a hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Smear a little oil on the feeler gauge before adjusting...you'll get a better read on the adjustment..
I always do that. Its alot smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
'Nuther trick/tip is to keep the locking nut or screw very snug ( almost tight ) when adjusting. That way ya don't lose /gain too much on final tightening/locking. I just barely loosen the locks.
Thats how I do it. Problem was weird though. the cam bushing has a groove in it that a flat spot on the bolt goes into, locking the two together. Loosen the nut on the bottom and turn the bolt head on top. There is slack in this system though. When you turn the bolt nothing turns for a 1/16". So when you get it where you want it, tightening the nut can, and does turn the bushing just enough to flub it up. One of them things you just have to have a feeling for. Of course just as I was on the last cylinder it come a flood here. I mean just all of a sudden. Got me and my tools in the box all wet. You know it didnt rain for a week and a half, and the one 1/2 hr time period I do the valves it has to rain
Old 06-29-2013, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You're looking for slight drag on the valves when adjusting them, so how do you get that when the feeler is coated in oil? I've NEVER heard of that.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvagedrover View Post
You're looking for slight drag on the valves when adjusting them, so how do you get that when the feeler is coated in oil? I've NEVER heard of that.
It doesn't surprise me that you have never heard of it..
I've read your posts...not impressed...
Don't you know the difference between friction and tension...aka slight drag..