Register free!

Old 06-17-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
We often must use people's driveways to dump material on (aggregate, sand, soil, etc). My proposal says that we will shovel and broom clean the driveway and street at the end of each working day. My proposal also says that pressure washing can be performed for additional costs.

However.....I have made it a practice to pressure wash the driveways on the last day of our jobs, and I do not charge the client additional charges for doing this.
Under promise and over deliver. My employees have never understood why I do things directly after a client say I don't have too. Its to give that little extra value even though you included it in that bid you handed them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2013, 01:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post

If I show up at the jobsite in shorts and a tank top (some of us have an upper body) and I openly communicate with the client the entire time we're working for them, and I answer their telephone calls and emails immediately, is that less professional than the guy in clean kacky pants and a colored shirt whom you must leave a voice message with each time you try to call him?
Here's my take on this.... In my opinion, the guy that shows up in shorts and tank tops/cutoff t-shirts is more likely to work hard and bust his @$$ to get the job done than the prissy people in khaki pants and polo shirts all tucked in. That's just the way I feel about it. If I were to choose between the 2, id go with the shorts/tank top over the clean pressed look 99% of the time.

My last boss was of the attitude that professional was wearing khaki pants, have on a heavy polo shirt and have it all tucked in. Oh by the way, this was for a golf course maintenance job in 100+ degree temps!!! Funny thing about that guy, he didn't last 1 year and it was the worst year in a very long time for that course...

Keep doin what you're doin!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a good thread....I would venture to say one of the many measures of true professionalism would be how you handle your **** ups and act when things arent going your way.

I have also learned to accept that different customers want different things. I just stick to replying to customers within 24 hrs of being contacted and making an effort to meet with them and or address their needs in a timely matter. That alone seemingly puts me ahead of most my competition.

I show up in my old chevy with boots on and my long hair in a pony tail , some guys would balk at that meanwhile blowing off a potential customers estimate for a week (or 3 in the case of one tree company I needed an estimate from ).
Old 06-18-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Those cookies look a bit overcooked. Not professional imo.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkr02 View Post
I had a salesman that polished his shoes everyday dressed nice and probably smelled better than me. Said it was needed to sell jobs and was having trouble. I show up take my muddy boots off before walking up on their pristine porch and sell the job smelling like a turd...
Posted via Mobile Device
I think "dressing" for the job is important, but standard varies with the job. People expect an accountant to look like an accountant, and a welder to look like a welder.

You should be clean and neat, but look like you are ready to do the job.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I feel professionalism is no more than common sense. If you are a successful lawn care CO I assume you have common sense or you wouldn't be successful.
Treat people as you would want to be treated.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thought i would share this one
Completed this massive paver install

Then we sat on the deck in her chairs and ate the lunch she made us. The dessert was watermelon btw.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Thought i would share this one
Completed this massive paver install

Posted via Mobile Device
yup, that's what its all about BABY!!

People do NOT care if you store the poly sand in the garage, and the watermelon tells us that

But we do gotta show you how to miter the corners for the border...........

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't like mitered corners, but when i do they call me "King Midas"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

To me professionalism is treating others as you would want to be treated. Doing what is right no matter what. Look and act professional. Attention to detail and doing top quality work. I have said it before, this industry is cut throat. Its the little things that make a difference and separate the men from the boys.