Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

what a difference on exmark 21

Last year I bought a new exmark 21 x series. Love the mower, but it mulches like crap with that dumb atomic blade. After several on here say they got a mulch blade for thiers and wouldn't give part number. Well anyway I stopped at my toro echo dealer for oil for the handhelds. I asked what they had that would match up. Only blade they had was a low lift looking straight blade. No waves. I took it figuring it couldn't be any worse than what I had. It doesn't even cut the same. It's 10 times better. No clumps no crap left on the right side. That was my biggest problem. It wouldn't let the grass down and screwed up the air and let grass drop on the right side and not cutting it. So I cut everything twice. Normally I put 4 hours or a tad more a week on my 21. Now double cutting doubles my time and the cur still looked like crap. I'm so relieved. I was looking at getting a cheapo 21 again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2012, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is a guy around here who uses 2 of those and I always go by a property they do and all I see is clumps. Glad you found something that works for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2012, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
There is a guy around here who uses 2 of those and I always go by a property they do and all I see is clumps. Glad you found something that works for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd make those places shine now
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2012, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark came out with a new multipurpose blade for this year's Exmark 21" model. Is that the one you put on your mower? This blade is supposed to bag and mulch well.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Exmark came out with a new multipurpose blade for this year's Exmark 21" model. Is that the one you put on your mower? This blade is supposed to bag and mulch well.
No, its a toro blade. I have talked to a bunch of exmark dealers and all they tell me is that the atomic blade is the only blade unless you retro fit one. It would be nice if there was one, the dealers would be aware of it. I'll post the part number tomorrow. I thought I had in my phone when I made the post. In my opinion the atomic blade should not be made. I believe they are also on the toro timemaster 30" wb. There have been several complaints on them cutting wise. I bet if a different blade was tried, improvement would be seen. The home owner called and left a voice mail wondering if I got a different mower. He noticed I didn't double cut and it is such a nice cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2012, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for sharing...interested in the part number as i have an x series also. Love the mower and would really like a better mulch cut. Best 21 ive used besides mulching.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2012, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What's the difference between the X series and S series on the exmark 21?
Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I believe the s series doesnt have the gallon fuel tank and maybe spin on filters? Or bbc? Not sure really
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2012, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

They don't have front gaurd or the trim side protective thing either. I think you can get the BBC. It's just stripped down x series
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey there Jim, wondering if you have the part number for that new blade you mentioned? I have a toro 22156, and it has the curved blade(curves downward) its a good overall blade but I'm always looking for improvements, thanks.