Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How long do you take complaints for?

Lets say that you go mow someone today, how long can they call till before you say, I'm sorry that you don't think a good job was done, it's been too long I am not coming back to clean it up.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's hard to say, especially if folks were on vacation and even then I wouldn't address it that way...Because you just don't know, what it is they are 'seeing.'

You also have to be aware of the weather, such as if it has been windy or thunderstorms have come through...

Personally speaking the least I would do before saying anything that might come back and haunt me is simply say that I will gladly swing past on my route today and have another look, maybe I missed something, and then do that.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A regular customer, no time limit. A one-time client - 4-5 days, assuming they have seen the results.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a one time client last week, first mow of the year, they had just gotten back from Fla for the summer, they were home when the work was done. Work was done on Wednesday, he called today saying my guys did a shitty job. They mowed, raked, and then mowed it a second time. I told the guy we would come back just because I have a reputation to keep, but a) If my guys say it was in good shape when they left, it was in good shape. B) why wait a week to call?

Now I am going to have to mow the grass again to be able to clean it up. I think he knows this and is just wanting to get the grass mowed again for free.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

As soon as I leave the property. I don't have time to go back to where I came from to fix things they think are wrong. Not saying I won't do it but it will either be when I'm close to the area or feeling sorry for them. I've never had a customer complain, but after the day is over I'm thinking they no longer have the ability to complain
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Member

"...how long can they call till before you say, I'm sorry that you don't think a good job was done..."

I doubt that getting a response of, “I’m sorry sir, I don’t accept complaints after three (3) days from the time of service – sorry no exceptions,” will make that customer stay with me unless I’m the only service provider around. That is, the utility company may get away with that, but the rest of us are just SOL - unless we're trying to drive any and all complainers to the competition.

I've seen it written into agreements, but successfully enforcing it is a whole other matter. Perhaps the policy should be to listen sincerely to their issue with the service and walk the property with them to figure out exactly what’s got their panties up in a bunch. Sometimes it’s not the work at all – it’s a spat with the spouse over spending so much on lawn care instead of beauty products, or some other goodie; the complaint is a pretense and prelude to cancelation. The only way to find out is to spend some quality time with them.

If money is not at the root of the problem, then it may be a perfect time for an upsell – for instance, maybe the lawn needs to be mowed twice a week instead of one because during the “walk about” and interview it’s discovered that they’ve spread a bunch of Nitrogen. Or maybe it’s looking bad because of a lack of fertilizer; or the need for additional raking due to the neighbor’s trees. Or, on a really good day, they need to install an irrigation system or do significant repairs on the one they have!

Last edited by billyray; 05-28-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What is this thing you speak of? A "complaint"?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyray View Post
"...how long can they call till before you say, I'm sorry that you don't think a good job was done..."

I doubt that getting a response of, “I’m sorry sir, I don’t accept complaints after three (3) days from the time of service – sorry no exceptions,” will make that customer stay with me unless I’m the only service provider around. That is, the utility company may get away with that, but the rest of us are just SOL - unless we're trying to drive any and all complainers to the competition.

I've seen it written into agreements, but successfully enforcing it is a whole other matter. Perhaps the policy should be to listen sincerely to their issue with the service and walk the property with them to figure out exactly what’s got their panties up in a bunch. Sometimes it’s not the work at all – it’s a spat with the spouse over spending so much on lawn care instead of beauty products, or some other goodie; the complaint is a pretense and prelude to cancelation. The only way to find out is to spend some quality time with them.

If money is not at the root of the problem, then it may be a perfect time for an upsell – for instance, maybe the lawn needs to be mowed twice a week instead of one because during the “walk about” and interview it’s discovered that they’ve spread a bunch of Nitrogen. Or maybe it’s looking bad because of a lack of fertilizer; or the need for additional raking due to the neighbor’s trees. Or, on a really good day, they need to install an irrigation system or do significant repairs on the one they have!
First of all, I've been doing this long enough and have enough clients at the moment, I do not want PITA clients that are looking to get something for nothing. IMHO, this is like mowing someone's grass, then them calling a week later and wanting it mowed again on your dime because you didn't mow it short enough for their liking the first time... WHat would your response be?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like a free cut to me,that's what he wants.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Complaints, don't get them for mow, blow, go. Get into tree, brush, ground work (skid steer) painting, now you have some compaints.