Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-24-2013, 06:52 PM
RSLM&LS's Avatar
RSLM&LS RSLM&LS is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lynchburg, VA.
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by makktruck View Post
Part of a mulch job we did
No landscaping fabric??
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Greg78's Avatar
Greg78 Greg78 is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southwest, FL
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSLM&LS View Post
No landscaping fabric??

Landscape fabric should only be used under gravel/rock. Used under gravel/rock the fabric stops/slows the sinking of the gravel/rock.

Using it under mulch makes it harder to pull weeds and water doesn't flow through it as fast and your mulch can float/wash away.

Mulch naturally decomposes into soil so eventually you'll have soil on top of the fabric anyway.

The misconception is that fabric will stop weeds.... weeds grow from the top down so you'll have just as many weeds with fabric as without, but with the fabric the weeds root into the fabric making them harder to pull.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-24-2013, 09:12 PM
makktruck's Avatar
makktruck makktruck is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Man View Post
That turf tracer looks sweet man! That johndeere looks heavy duty lol
Turf tracer? And thanks
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-24-2013, 09:27 PM
RSLM&LS's Avatar
RSLM&LS RSLM&LS is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lynchburg, VA.
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Landscape fabric should only be used under gravel/rock. Used under gravel/rock the fabric stops/slows the sinking of the gravel/rock.

Using it under mulch makes it harder to pull weeds and water doesn't flow through it as fast and your mulch can float/wash away.

Mulch naturally decomposes into soil so eventually you'll have soil on top of the fabric anyway.

The misconception is that fabric will stop weeds.... weeds grow from the top down so you'll have just as many weeds with fabric as without, but with the fabric the weeds root into the fabric making them harder to pull.
That is a good point actually however it is not my yard and I charge extra for my "green" fabric (plastic grocery bags). It is not my yard so why should I care. Good point but its not MY yard.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Greg78's Avatar
Greg78 Greg78 is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southwest, FL
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSLM&LS View Post
That is a good point actually however it is not my yard and I charge extra for my "green" fabric (plastic grocery bags). It is not my yard so why should I care. Good point but its not MY yard.
You'll go far with that kind of outlook!!!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-24-2013, 10:22 PM
GVL LLC GVL LLC is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hopkinton MA
Posts: 133
RSLM&LS it would be a smarter business decision to educate all your customers as to why landscape fabric or putting anything under mulch is not needed.

You cant have the view of its not my property because you need to treat each of your customers property like it is yours. Its wasting their money putting anything down (labor and material cost)

What happens if that customer wants you to weed their beds after the weeds germinate? You will be sorry you put fabric down because it will be harder to pull the entire root system out.

These are all things you should take into account and will help you go very far in this industry. Always exhibit good integrity when dealing with your customers.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Greg78's Avatar
Greg78 Greg78 is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southwest, FL
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVL LLC View Post
RSLM&LS it would be a smarter business decision to educate all your customers as to why landscape fabric or putting anything under mulch is not needed.

You cant have the view of its not my property because you need to treat each of your customers property like it is yours. Its wasting their money putting anything down (labor and material cost)

What happens if that customer wants you to weed their beds after the weeds germinate? You will be sorry you put fabric down because it will be harder to pull the entire root system out.

These are all things you should take into account and will help you go very far in this industry. Always exhibit good integrity when dealing with your customers.
Well put. I wasn't going to waste my time typing it out for him lol.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Greg78's Avatar
Greg78 Greg78 is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southwest, FL
Posts: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Landscape fabric should only be used under gravel/rock. Used under gravel/rock the fabric stops/slows the sinking of the gravel/rock.

Using it under mulch makes it harder to pull weeds and water doesn't flow through it as fast and your mulch can float/wash away.

Mulch naturally decomposes into soil so eventually you'll have soil on top of the fabric anyway.

The misconception is that fabric will stop weeds.... weeds grow from the top down so you'll have just as many weeds with fabric as without, but with the fabric the weeds root into the fabric making them harder to pull.
Here's what happens down here when fabric is used under mulch:
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-15-2013, 07:15 PM
makktruck's Avatar
makktruck makktruck is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 130
Its been awhile so I thought I would Update this thread.

This is our new mower! It only had 250 hours on it when we picked it up.

Another one is a detaching job we did and then a few random pics.
Attached Images
               
__________________
My Setup:
1)-Scag 48inch walk
2)-John Deere GT235
3)-Exmark Comercial 30
4)-John Deere 21inch walk
5)-Troy built 21inch walk
6)-Redmax 8500 Blower
7)-Redmax BCZ3060TS Trimmer
8)-5 by 6 Trailer
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Greg78's Avatar
Greg78 Greg78 is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southwest, FL
Posts: 1,842
Nice Scag WB. It will serve you well!!
__________________
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 AM.

Page generated in 0.09585 seconds with 8 queries