Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2013, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Catch basins vs stone

Im looking for some tips on when to use one vs the other. Obviously basins for pavement but for lawn or stone driveways I need some more expertise. Why the basins at all? Especially in stone driveways where you could do drains without ever seeing any of it.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It really depends on the volume of water. Catch basins work well when there are high volumes and when you need to get the water out of the are so that it will not affect something that may be close too the area like a septic system or a building. When using drains like french drains they just will not move a bunch of water.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

that makes sense. Safe to say that if there is not a concentrated flow of water but just a standing water area during rain, that a basic French drain with stone would be adequate?

Also can a French drain be used in combination with a basin. Draining the basin with perforated pipe and stone in order to collect more water along the way before it exits?
Old 06-22-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

IMHO, best option is always proper grading on the surface... but there are some situations where that isn't possible (or at least not practical). In those cases, like AWJ was saying, use an inlet to catch a bunch of storm runoff to keep it away from buildings etc.

French drains... I don't want to start a fight on the internet but I'll just say not a big fan in most cases. They can fix areas that seem to stay wet / hold water after a rain, but they are so often used as a bandaid where proper grading wasn't done in the first place.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Catch basins and stone basins are two different animals.

By basin I assume you mean grate inlets, where running water is collected off the grade and sent on down the line via drain pipe. They are used to grab high volume, rapidly moving water and get it gone in a hurry.

A stone basin can work in some situations if you have nowhere to run a drain line to, such as sanitary sewer. Collect a bunch of water in one spot and hopefully over time the ground around it will absorb it and take it away. I can see how that would work in some situations, but if you have the option to remove the water completely, that's the best way to go.

French drains are great for what they're intended to do, which is create a curtain to stop water from running in an unintended direction and channel it elsewhere. Sometimes you don't have the option to regrade and a properly installed/designed french drain with fabric, the right pipe and rock will last for quite some time.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 06-23-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

French drains are for moving residual water or water left over after the rain event. Those stone basins here are called privy pits. They are also in my opinion too get rid of residual water for example you have a low spot that the water settles in and you cannot get a pipe out of it too a lower elevation. You install a stone basin too allow the water a place too go while the ground absorbs it.

As has been stated grading is the first choice for water issues but sometimes that is not possible so thats when we install drains of some sort. I only use french drains for minor water issues. Up North I know that they are used more than they are here due too differences in soil conditions.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

by stone drain I meant the full French drain with pipe and stone up to the surface. versus the collection basin and pipe method. I am beginning to understand the difference. What I am thinking now is can I combine the two with a French drain emptying out the basin and collecting more water along the way. The spot I am dealing with now is decent sized. Maybe 25x 25 flat spot, half lawn half stone driveway. water during/after rain.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I personally would not have a drain basin hooked too a french drain. I would keep them on 2 seperate pipes. Use the basins too carry the majority and have some French drains for the residual.