Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-24-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

How to teach a guy to be a foreman

I've grown fast this year and maybe too fast. I went from a part time guy last year to a full time guy and full time seasonal guy.

My full time guy is young...maybe under 20. He is very hard working, wants to work, and is very polite. He has the makings of what I hope is a great employee.
The draw back is this is his first time doing this type of work. He has picked up the trimming and mowing pretty good.

He mowed with me for about 5 weeks then i started sending him out solo some and now I have been forced to send them out on their own. They do a decent job but would like them to be more detail oriented.

Ay tips on how to teach him to become a foreman and hopefully run the mowing side of the business? Teaching someone to mow blow go is very easy but how do you get them to do some extra stuff and keep everything maintained.

The hardest thing I am having is getting them to watch for weeds and sticks!!

Any tips? I can't afford to run and guys off but also need the quality to stay high. I thought about typing up a checklist type sheet to remind them to check over and make sure the job was done.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a binder for each crew with 5 sections divided by days , with each properties dos And donts . Each page laminated so we can write dry erase on them for notes or to check off. Then they have no excuse to miss anything.
Posted via Mobile Device