Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Laundry detergent added to spray mixture.

Does laundry detergent affect pesticides (and other chemicals) if added to the spray mixture? I've used it in place of sticker from time to time, but not regular enough to make a conclusion.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spray_man View Post
Does laundry detergent affect pesticides (and other chemicals) if added to the spray mixture? I've used it in place of sticker from time to time, but not regular enough to make a conclusion.
I've heard that, however spreader/sticker is such a minimal cost, I dont really see the point.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm not comparing cost. Does it change the pesticide/fungicide/etc strength, or other properties? Some laundry detergents have bleach.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Most ag chemicals call for a non ionic adjunant. Soaps don't qualify and may reduce the effectiveness.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are spraying less than a gallon per thousand sqft a non-ionic surfactant (sticker) is the best bet and it will increase the effectiveness in most cases (particularly if the weed is waxy, hairy or otherwise hard to wet). Use it in backpack and hand sprayers also. And on ride-ons. Foaming can happen, of course.

However...if you are cheap like I was years ago. And if you are spraying high volume, like when applying liquid fert/herbicide solutions (2 to 3 gallons per thousand sqft) ...laundry or dish detergent helps to wet the weeds. Most non-ionic surfactants would be a high cost if used for high volume every day(cost more than herbicide). Dollar store or generic detergents are low cost and smell kinda nice, too. I think I used about 10 ounces per hundred gallons.

Maybe I can test the idea. Your opinion--is a surfactant worth the cost?
Old 06-20-2013, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
If you are spraying less than a gallon per thousand sqft a non-ionic surfactant (sticker) is the best bet and it will increase the effectiveness in most cases (particularly if the weed is waxy, hairy or otherwise hard to wet). Use it in backpack and hand sprayers also. And on ride-ons. Foaming can happen, of course.

However...if you are cheap like I was years ago. And if you are spraying high volume, like when applying liquid fert/herbicide solutions (2 to 3 gallons per thousand sqft) ...laundry or dish detergent helps to wet the weeds. Most non-ionic surfactants would be a high cost if used for high volume every day(cost more than herbicide). Dollar store or generic detergents are low cost and smell kinda nice, too. I think I used about 10 ounces per hundred gallons.

Maybe I can test the idea. Your opinion--is a surfactant worth the cost?
Also depends on what you are spraying and what effect to want the soap to produce. In the case of Fire Ant control I use dish soap not so much as a sticker, But as a wetting agent to break surface tension and allow my Insecticide to sink into the ground where Fire Ants live.

DO NOT USE ANTI BACTERIAL SOAP. IT WILL EFFECT THE EFFICACY OF YOUR PESTICIDE.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.