Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-19-2013, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Out bided by Big Expensive Company

I was out bided by the most expensive and biggest company in my area on a bed design and mulch job. Are these bigger companies getting very desperate in this economy, and bidding really really low. I bided 2,500 for a leaf removal , 30 yards of mulch , pruning , shaping, bed edging, cutting of low lying branches and building a few new beds. I am not sure how this guy went any lower , than me , this guy had like 20 guys working on it, a bob cat on site, 2 huge dump trucks. I am smaller and have less overhead and 2, 500 was even low to me.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yea his stuff will probably be on Craigslist soon unless he completed the job in an hour
Old 06-19-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe your bid was not lower than the big company. The customer could have wanted it done quickly and wanted the co. with the manpower , or the bigger co. had a better salesman. Lowest bid doesn't always get the job.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How do you know he out bid you? Maybe they liked his presentation better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

It's very possible he went lower than you, however, if you didn't see the numbers, don't be so quick to assume that he did. From experience, we have gotten jobs where we weren't the lowest bid. It could be a number of things. Maybe someone from that company knew someone, maybe they put together a more professional bid, or the place that was getting the work done might have felt more comfortable paying a little more for the larger company, based on experiences/reputation. Honestly, you never know.

The main thing is to not let it bother you. Know your costs and keep bidding away. When you think you bid too low, you probably have. No point in doing a job just to have something to do. This business is about profit, not gross. And maybe I'm wrong and the other owner did bid very low. Happens all the time, don't stress over it.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Very true. Did you let on that you would be doing it yourself over a few days?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

No I would have had 4 guys on the job
Old 06-19-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Some people feel cheated when you do a 2500 job in a day, they expect you to slave away for as long as it took them to make that money. Other love the fact that I can do 6k of work in a day with my equip and trucks. Good thing there's a customer for every contractor
Old 06-19-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandlawn View Post
I was out bided by the most expensive and biggest company in my area on a bed design and mulch job. Are these bigger companies getting very desperate in this economy, and bidding really really low. I bided 2,500 for a leaf removal , 30 yards of mulch , pruning , shaping, bed edging, cutting of low lying branches and building a few new beds. I am not sure how this guy went any lower , than me , this guy had like 20 guys working on it, a bob cat on site, 2 huge dump trucks. I am smaller and have less overhead and 2, 500 was even low to me.
Holycow 30 yards of mulch AND leaf removal AND bush trim for $2500? I'd be way way over that I assume you're getting your mulch at a extremely low prices...if not..wanna do my house?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good commercial work around me is hard to get of course there is always the idiot that crossed 3 lanes of traffic on me killing a cart with blower and trimmer back home from his small commercial job.
Posted via Mobile Device