Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLight View Post
The PGP is just a marginal head from top to bottom.. The 5000 has a far superior seal and now all of them have a slip clutch, those two features alone should all but eliminate the PGP from consideration on new installs.. That said, I do agree that the I-20 is far superior to both in my experience. I come across 10-15 year old I-20's that still run like a top.
I don't even know why they make a pgp, how much more does it actually cost to manufacturer an I-20? 30 cents? Its like buying a lexus when you could buy a Toyota... same f''''ing thing.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you really like the slip clutch? I think that may have the potential to backfire.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Do you really like the slip clutch? I think that may have the potential to backfire.
Not........
Old 06-23-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do really like it. I haven't seen any real negatives out of it so far.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The original clutches, such as on original fixed-arc Hunter rotors, or Rainbird R-50's, or even the redoubtable Safe-T-Lawn rotor (man, that head had it all!) are great "harm-proofing" - the new 5004 clutch might bring on callbacks.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post

one thing i don't like about the i20's is how strong the spring is, takes a certain amount of pressure to even pop the head up...one side of town doesn't have very good pressure and can't pop the i20, yet the other side of town is more around 120 PSI...so as of right now, i don't really stock the i20, just have a few if and when i might need them....
You are correct about the pressure part. That spring is very strong and I wouldn't use i-20's on unregulated systems with really low pressure. That strong spring is really a blessing though. Over the long haul, the I-20 is going to have a lot less issues with retracting problems than it's cheaper family mate. Also does a good job of checking off without muddying up the head with pooling drain water on new installs.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWI View Post
I don't he was basing his opinion on specs... just reality.
Not really sure what this means. Specs say the rotor is built to withstand a max pressure @ 100PSI. If in reality it is only built to withstand a max pressure @ 50PSI, then I would think that is false advertising. Regardless, you shouldn't be running a PGP, or any mid-range rotor, much higher than 50 PSI to begin with.

Quote:
The second link was interesting. A local contractor uses a pressure reducer on all of their systems, which I guess is fine as long as the original zone layout is never tampered with. Wouldn't it be better to have higher pressure and use a valve with flow control for more flexibility down the road?
Depends on the site. If I had excessive pressure, I would personally lean towards a pressure reducing valve.

http://www.griswoldcontrols.com/pro-dws.html
Old 06-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Not really sure what this means. Specs say the rotor is built to withstand a max pressure @ 100PSI. If in reality it is only built to withstand a max pressure @ 50PSI, then I would think that is false advertising. Regardless, you shouldn't be running a PGP, or any mid-range rotor, much higher than 50 PSI to begin with.

Depends on the site. If I had excessive pressure, I would personally lean towards a pressure reducing valve.

http://www.griswoldcontrols.com/pro-dws.html
I was just referring to his personal experience with pgps.

I read your link. Lets say you have a 5/8 meter, would it work to install a 2" prv? That would give you the greatest range to manipulate the pressure from 0-160. The other smaller prv's seem to have less flexibility.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Shoot em with your Glock.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I read your link. Lets say you have a 5/8 meter, would it work to install a 2" prv? That would give you the greatest range to manipulate the pressure from 0-160. The other smaller prv's seem to have less flexibility.
Yes, but why would you do that? Not sure where you are getting your numbers from but the regulating range on the DW series valves is 5-100 PSI, and the 2000 series 5-125 PSI, regardless of size.