Register free!

Old 06-27-2013, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
who here likes toro s700 series rotors? I have to say, when properly designed, systems using those do a pretty good job, but really my impression is they last for a very long time. I have a ton of them in systems that are 30 yo and not skipping a beat. I have started to replace now, with rainbird 5000 on those systems as i dont carry toro. The only toro used here is the s700, so no use in stocking any toro. seems the spray heads at least of yesteryear from toro are the worst ever at staying stuck up and run over with mowers.
have you made your mind up on the rainbird 5000's over the PGP's? our last conversation really got me thinking, i'm highly considering switching to the 5000's
Old 06-28-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
who here likes toro s700 series rotors? I have to say, when properly designed, systems using those do a pretty good job, but really my impression is they last for a very long time. I have a ton of them in systems that are 30 yo and not skipping a beat. I have started to replace now, with rainbird 5000 on those systems as i dont carry toro. The only toro used here is the s700, so no use in stocking any toro. seems the spray heads at least of yesteryear from toro are the worst ever at staying stuck up and run over with mowers.
The Super700 was okay, especially after some design tweaks and nozzle changes. It suffered in comparison to the PGP when the 1.5 gpm nozzles were used. It did have the best low-angle nozzle array, being standard nozzles in a low-trajectory-angle housing.

It was especially nice to be able to change out s600 heads for the 700's, with the taller replacement head conveniently making up for the original head's being an inch or so below grade level.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
have you made your mind up on the rainbird 5000's over the PGP's? our last conversation really got me thinking, i'm highly considering switching to the 5000's
i think I am gonna try the i 20s, with the stainless riser. i really like hunter overall. and do see some of these that are non stainless still running very well with no wiperseal issues. that is the only reason i have to every replace pgps though,
Old 06-29-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
i think I am gonna try the i 20s, with the stainless riser. i really like hunter overall. and do see some of these that are non stainless still running very well with no wiperseal issues. that is the only reason i have to every replace pgps though,
this might be dumb, but i never understood the stainless risers...what is the point? i'm sure there is a good reason, just never knew what it was...and what is the price difference on a stainless i20 vs a regular i20?

Another point would be competition...most of the competition wouldn't be putting in stainless i20's, prob just a regular PGP or 5000, so chances are they are going to be cheaper
Old 06-29-2013, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
this might be dumb, but i never understood the stainless risers...what is the point? i'm sure there is a good reason, just never knew what it was...and what is the price difference on a stainless i20 vs a regular i20?

Another point would be competition...most of the competition wouldn't be putting in stainless i20's, prob just a regular PGP or 5000, so chances are they are going to be cheaper
3 things keep me from installing I-20's.

1, nozzle selection dosnt go low enough.

2 , they last too long , I don't like doing $70 start ups.

3 One can only charge so much to replace a rotor head.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I dont mind doing repairs, but I want high quality heads. I have not even priced the stainless i20 in while. cant even remember. Either way, I am considering either that, or to the 5000. hell, For one reason only, I have even thought about the toro rotors that pop up 5 inches, for better coverage in tall cut lawns. not sure though, i am confident they last very long.... just have a thing for the same brand sticking with hunter. I do also think though that the lower gpm nozzles were really nice to have. one can still get the old nozzles though i believe. if one really wanted. however,the blue nozzles on the pgp give a great pattern, i like it better than the 5000 actually.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One thing that warmed me up to the 5000 series is that I could get spray distance that exceeded the PGP standard nozzles, and matched the original decades-ago PGP red-nozzle distances.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you've got different arcs on the same zones (90s, 180s, etc.), the 5000/5500 with MPR nozzles are the cat's meow
Old 06-29-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
this might be dumb, but i never understood the stainless risers...what is the point? i'm sure there is a good reason, just never knew what it was...
Architects love to specify stainless steel sprinkler heads. That's all the reason you need.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah the 5" rotor is interesting, i don't understand why 4" is the mainstream rotor...however, they work much better than the 4" sprays...from here on out i'm installing Rain Pro's 6" telescope sprays when a 4" needs to be replaced, did a 30 head swap out last year and they are all still working like a champ...a new system will probably be hunter 6" sprays...most yards our mowing crew mows around 4", within a couple days the grass is already too tall...they should simply stop producing 4" anything, especially once they settle even just a little...i will probably stick with the PGP's especially since they came out with the blue nozzle, AI Inc has a great point, less heads to replace means you aren't making as much money, most the other companies are using that head anyways...also, since most systems have PGP's i wouldn't like to throw in a different head like an I-20, might as well keep it the same, not a huge deal but would keep things simpler...i do keep I-20's on the truck tho so when i do run into an all I-20 system i can keep it the same