Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2011, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

gooseneck dump trailer?

I've got an 07' F350 diesel single rear wheel and was considering a gooseneck 14' dump trailer; I'm a one man operation usually, and thought it'd be great to have one truck, one trailer that hauls both equipment and materials. I'd still be over the trucks gvw with the weight of the dump trailer and mini ex, but does the gooseneck increase the trucks gvw or does it just distribute the weight better? Does anyone have this set up or know if the truck can handle it? In the past I've had 2 trailers one equipment and 1 dumper, had to make extra trips and switch trailers all the time. Another concern is the manuverability of dumping materials with a 14ft dump, yikes! I can get an equipment trailer and a 6x10 dump trailer for about the same $ as a big 14 gn dump so this is a tough one! A 5 to 8 yard dump truck is probably in the future but for this year I'm sticking with the dump trailers and a all around truck. Thanks for any tips,
Old 03-02-2011, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm in the same boat and would like to know as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2011, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I never pulled with a gooseneck trailer but there are lots of guys out there pulling 8000lb mini on 14000lb 16000lb goosenecks .
I pull a 12000lb dump with my 350 bumper pull .
Its fine .
You manual will tell you your capacity .
I think the gvwr for the truck and trailer needs to be correct
truck 12000lb trailer 14000lbs ( combination 26000lbs)
over 26000lb needs class a licence . I cant remember the gvw of my 350 .
The difference between bumper pull and GN is the weight is spread over 2 axles 4 tires .
At 14000lb bumper pull its easy to over load your rear tires and axle with tongue weight 10/ 15% of the trailer weight .
Your 2" receiver is rated for 6500lb wt carrying hitch
12500 with WT distributing hitch
A 14' gooseneck turns like a 10' pumper pull because the trailer turns from the center of the truck bed .
I called my 8000lb ex in a 12' bumper pull dump but a equipment trailer is much easier to load and unload I up grade my ex and trailer last year.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have one most ever hauled with it was 5 ton of rock pulled it behind a F350 5 speed Sometimes the GN dump trailer To haul Skid loader and some rock with one trip
We got the model low to ground it can t dump a pile in on spot to low to the ground
Old 03-04-2011, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A gooseneck dump will not tow like a 10 ft bumper pull trailer - more like an 18ft bumper pull. You have to make much wider turns with a gooseneck trailer. However, they have zero sway on the hwy, even if your trailer is not loaded properly. I carry my 6700lbs mini in my 14' gooseneck with no problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2011, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A gooseneck dump will not tow like a 10 ft bumper pull trailer - more like an 18ft bumper pull. You have to make much wider turns with a gooseneck trailer. However, they have zero sway on the hwy, even if your trailer is not loaded properly. I carry my 6700lbs mini in my 14' gooseneck with no problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-04-2011, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flairland View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
You don't say , Ive never pulled a GN but it sure seems like they can back into a much tighter space then i can with my 12' bumper pull .
Ive never given any thought to pulling forward down the road .
John
Old 03-05-2011, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Maybe you could back a gooseneck MORE EASILY into a tighter space, but you will need MUCH MORE room to maneuver the truck than a tag trailer. Its a trade off. For such a short trailer, a tag dump is easy to back up. If I were worried about running full or over capacity loads long distances or at high speeds I would lean toward a gooseneck. If you have a truck that is on the small or light side for the trailer you want to pull, I would look at a gooseneck. If you can't figure out how to keep a somewhat balanced load in the trailer, I would look at a gooseneck. If those issues don't apply to you, maybe than you should keep the bed of your truck free and get a tag.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Regarding the OP, if you are looking for a new trailer maybe you could look for one of the manufacturers that builds a 16' 16K gvw gooseneck with 8 ton axles. That would probably get you the best capacity and definitely be easier to use as an equipment trailer as well. JMO
Old 03-06-2011, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 08 Texas Bragg 16ft gooseneck dump trailer. Its got 4 ft metal sides.It has a 14k gvw. I pull it with my 07 dodge ram 3500 single rear wheel and it pulls it fine. B/c its a gooseneck 25% of th weight can be put on the rear axle of the truck legally, allowing the trailer to hold more weight legally in the trailer. I love the trailer it rides smoother than a bumper pull. I got pull out ramps so I can drive my compact tractor into the trailer. Ill try to find some pics n post them.