Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark Lazer Air in Hydro System

I have a 2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS with about 1500 hours. It seems to be sucking air into its hydro system. I faithfully change the hydro oil and filter at the start of each season. I always use Exmark oil and OEM filter. The problem seems to be isolated to the right side. The pump whines real bad and lacks power. I have rebuilt / resealed the pump and it did not make any difference. I have also replaced all of the O Rings on the suction side of the system. I plan to replace the suction side hoses next. If I remove the cap on the hydro tank when the engine is running I can see air bubbles continually rising to the top. I have done the recommended bleeding procedure many times. Air is getting in somewhere. Any suggestions? Thanks, George
Old 07-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Sponsor

We suggest you double-check the hydraulic hoses and fittings running from the pump to the motor and also the filter (make sure the filter in on tight). If you’d like further assistance, please call us at 1-800-667-5296.
Exmark Customer Service
Old 07-17-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There actually case pressure in those pump, not a vacuum like a gear pump. Try putting clamps on all the suction lines if they don't already. Your on the right track. But, the problems I have seen, when there is a suction leak, is severely aerated oil. To the point it overflows. A dealer should be able to pressurize the system.
After awhile ANY leak shows. I have the tester and it has saved days in labor.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
There actually case pressure in those pump, not a vacuum like a gear pump. Try putting clamps on all the suction lines if they don't already. Your on the right track. But, the problems I have seen, when there is a suction leak, is severely aerated oil. To the point it overflows. A dealer should be able to pressurize the system.
What type of tool do you use...radiator pressure tester.???
Can see where that would eliminate a bunch of guesswork...
Old 07-17-2013, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
What type of tool do you use...radiator pressure tester.???
Can see where that would eliminate a bunch of guesswork...

Basicly, yes. Made from a newer style cap (flat top, not domed). Regulated pressure through cap into reservoir. 5 psi. Will test low pressure side and suction leaks do show up. One of those ideas someone came up with that look so simple, but is pure genius.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
That is a great tool to test this type of problem. I have talked to 3 dealers (2 -Exmark and 1 Stag). They never mentioned that they had a tester like this. Is this a commercially available tool or did you make it up yourself?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No they don't have one. Came via the Toro network. They supplied the info. It's suppose to be for Toro dealers only. But I would still try the clamps
Old 07-17-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, I will be installing new suction hoses and worm gear clamps tomorrow. If I still have an air problem I will try a local Toro dealer and see if they have the tester. Thanks for the information