Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Wheres the money?

The way I see it there are two types of customers for this service, those that have extra money and can afford and those who can't take of it themselves. So upper class and the older set. So where is the money? I know in upper class there is money, but the older set seems more loyal....
Old 06-20-2013, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Some of the cheapest customers are rich people.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Our best customers are usually hard working people like ourselves. They know the value of the dollar and want to make sure to pay you quickly. Also the self made wealthy person is usually a good one as well for the same reason. Just my 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The real money lays hidden in undeveloped markets.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 06-20-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The reliable money is in the niche market. and Choose a specialty trade be good at what you do. Examples include irrigation, hardscapes, fert/ weed control, landscape lighting, or ponds.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the middle class to upper class. the more money they have the cheaper they will get usually. but in some cases that is not true, also the extremely wealthy always feel like they are getting ripped off, and always want the best deal and will shop around to pinch pennies, the middle class or upper middle class may hire the more expensive guy because they want quality, or they like who they are dealing with or the fact that you speak english and are presentable and have a clean truck and a trailer. the rich or whatever you wanna call them, usually already have a company that does everything for them anyways and are not likely to switch, and usually the company they have has been in their area for 15-30 years or longer even. so its really not worth trying to target those types of people.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the money is in whomever will hire you. it doesn't matter if they are poor, rich, or middle class. set your prices and they can hire you or not. you get paid the same regardless of their income level. you set your own prices not the people that hire you.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

quality work, knowledge, and a professional manner. know your clients and listen to them. i have several customers that needed help one time and now they are regulars because they liked my work. a couple have money, some are just regular joes that like their lawn to look good
Old 06-21-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Over the years, a lot of my residential clients had never been with any other company. I convinced them they needed the service to free up time and/ or a back ache and they agreed. For me, the middle class customers have spent their money more freely than the higher income ones.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Seniors get a government check every month they are not effected by recessions and depressions. They also have a very high % of them that pay the bill as soon as it hits their hands. You want to chase rainbows be my guest but I'll stick with a steady sure thing. The senior men are the best they don't hire you till they can no longer do the work themselves age 70-80. So your their first landscaper and their last since they tend to keep you till they die.