Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-20-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Billing "Bi-weekly vs. 2 times a month"

Good Morning everyone,

I am new to the business and have a few accounts, I just got another one yesterday and the customer said to just do his yard one time this month since the month is almost over...it made me realize that when i get accounts I have been telling them I will be charging X amount for "2 times a month" and in my mind I had it figured out as coming every other week. Well I now realize that on some months I would have to come three times if I come every other week for example June 1st, 15th, and 29th how do I solve this issue do most of you just tell the customer you will come every two weeks? If billing for every two weeks how do you bill, for example I came to do service on a property on the 1st and 15th of June...do I leave an invoice on the 15th saying its due on the 29th which is the next time I will be showing up? Please help, like I said I am new and this has me all confused.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

welcome to the industry,

you're reading too much in this. You cut it every other week and after the second cut you bill them out cause that will have been 4 weeks which is a month. Whether you cut it three times in a month doesn't matter as long as you stick to the every other week system cause other wise you just messed up the rotation.

Rhode Island Landscapers Thread:
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=367380
Old 06-20-2013, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why not bill out once a month per cut??
Old 06-20-2013, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetland View Post
welcome to the industry,

you're reading too much in this. You cut it every other week and after the second cut you bill them out cause that will have been 4 weeks which is a month. Whether you cut it three times in a month doesn't matter as long as you stick to the every other week system cause other wise you just messed up the rotation.
THANK YOU!! I read your message and my headache magically dissapeared haha....I agree with you, and like we used to say in the military "I was just nuking it"
Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetland View Post
welcome to the industry,

That is a great quote by the way...love it.

“Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic."
Old 06-20-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
Why not bill out once a month per cut??
you mean, if i charge $30 per visit and one month ends up having three weekends charge $90 for that month? That also makes sense if I understood correctly...thanks.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone has their own way of doing things but the way we have been doing it for years is if they are a weekly customer then we bill them on the 4th cut and if they are bi-weekly then we bill them after 2 cuts.

It really does keep it simple and easy instead of the customer dealing with a different amount each month
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I would keep it simple, that way I always know where I am. On the second cutting I would bill, or I would keep track of the times mowed the previous month and let them know they need to pay for the whole month on the first of the next. What I am saying is either do it every 2 mowing's or go strictly by the calendar.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i don't bill on 99% of my customers. they pay me each time i mow the yard. some are at home when i mow others leave a check or whatever. i only have a couple that i send a bill to. actually just 1. i bill them once a month for the number of cuts that month. some months it's 4 cuts others it's 5. i send the bill out halfway during the month. one business i mow i just drop off a bill while i'm there for each cut. i just walk in and hand it to the secretary. takes a few seconds. then i go mow. they send me a check in the mail. pretty simple. so they get 2 bills a month but that's how they wanted to do it. i don't really care how it goes as long as i get paid.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, don't ever agree to "2 times a month". I make it clear that I cut "every other week", not twice a month. The cheapskates always say "I want it cut twice a month".

Bill it however it works best for you. Most of my biweekly accounts that pay for more than one cut pay for 2-4 cuts at a time - and I prefer to be pre-paid. It's easier for everyone that way since I don't do official "billing" after the fact. (most are paid at time of service)