Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-22-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

So it might be wise to say that a healthy mix would be middle class and seniors? Also how would one determine what specialty they would want to pursue? I know about none of them LOL
Old 06-22-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Lighting View Post
The reliable money is in the niche market. and Choose a specialty trade be good at what you do. Examples include irrigation, hardscapes, fert/ weed control, landscape lighting, or ponds.
These are luxuries that felt the recession hard. Swimming pools fall into the same catagory.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Seniors have been good too but I find them to be more budget oriented. The best for me have been condos probably because the HOA is spending other people's money. It requires being personal and following through with great customer service though.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

no doubt some of the richest people are cheap. my service area is a high end area, they have range rovers and bmw's but you tell some their shrubs have aphids and it will be $75 to treat and they say let me think about it.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Some of the cheapest customers are rich people.
Was eating lunch last week and saw a dude I know walking across the parking lot. I know he is worth between 3-4 mil. Talking on phone in one hand , sandwich in the other , bent down to pick up a quarter.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMichigan View Post
Seniors have been good too but I find them to be more budget oriented. The best for me have been condos probably because the HOA is spending other people's money. It requires being personal and following through with great customer service though.
I avoid HOA like the plague. Its all about the numbers with them.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Was eating lunch last week and saw a dude I know walking across the parking lot. I know he is worth between 3-4 mil. Talking on phone in one hand , sandwich in the other , bent down to pick up a quarter.
By pointing this out, are you creating an illogical loop for yourself? You think he shouldn't pick up a quarter, because he has millions, but you want him to behave like any other, even though he as millions. Or is it that "Hey, he picked up that quarter. See, he's just like everyone else."?

Given the previous example of someone who owns Ranger Rovers and BMWs, and had to think about a $75 aphid treatment, do you find that "normal" people who you give the same quote to don't reply in the same way and just say, "Yep, go ahead and do it.", or is it, because the "wealthy" person can easily afford your quote, they should blindly say, "Yes.", and therefore the idea of "wealthy people are cheap" becomes magnified?
Old 06-23-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The problem is most folks see rich people as the next financial caretaker who will simply throw endless supplies of money their way for little to no effort and that they should just give it to them, this is a rather disrespectful mindset that doesn't take into consideration what it took to get there and in a nutshell that is the problem with how most folks see rich people.

The good news is that if approached correctly you can get a lot of work for next to nothing out of one of those people walking around with the dollar signs in their eyes... Rich people know this, too.

Last edited by herler; 06-23-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
By pointing this out, are you creating an illogical loop for yourself? You think he shouldn't pick up a quarter, because he has millions, but you want him to behave like any other, even though he as millions. Or is it that "Hey, he picked up that quarter. See, he's just like everyone else."?

Given the previous example of someone who owns Ranger Rovers and BMWs, and had to think about a $75 aphid treatment, do you find that "normal" people who you give the same quote to don't reply in the same way and just say, "Yep, go ahead and do it.", or is it, because the "wealthy" person can easily afford your quote, they should blindly say, "Yes.", and therefore the idea of "wealthy people are cheap" becomes magnified?
Cheap , no frugal yes. The easiest way to aquire wealth is not to blow money and to think before making purchases.
For many , poverty is a mental problem , not a financial one.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

That is a good point about the range rover ppeople, however its an image thing for some....don't buy a fancy home, BMW act but can barely pay for it. When it comes to mulch, target pests act they say let me thnk about it. I don't expect wealth to be handed to me in the way of money. I'm already wealthy in lots of other ways. Best wishes
Posted via Mobile Device