Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2013, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Big engine gph, large property

I believe I have the inside track on a bid for a very large property. This property will take approximately 24 hours of mowing for a 72" zero to complete. If I land the job, I will add two new 72" mowers to be able to maintain this place. After buying three Turf Tigers earlier this year, I still qualify for fleet pricing on Scag machines until March 2014 so obviously I'm leaning towards getting two 72" Turf Tigers with Vanguard engines. I love the Tigers but I don't love the fuel consumption of the Vanguard which I'm guessing will be even higher when running a 72" deck. I'm currently getting 1.8 - 2.0 gph on my 61" with the Vanguard engine.

So what are my options? I still own some Exmark and Toro ZTR's and I'm not completely opposed to buying them again with the Kohler 980 EFI but will the increased gph be enough to offset the fact that the Exmark / Toro will increase the time it takes to cut this place?

What is the gph on the 980 EFI Kohler? Can anyone suggest any other options for a 72" beside the 35 Briggs or the 980 EFI Kohler? I'm scared of the big Kaws - too many issues
Old 06-18-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get the turf tigers with the diesel. I had a turf tiger with a 29 fuel injected traded for a John Deere 997 diesel. The fuel savings pay for the machine. Less than a gph. Drop the extra cash for diesel and u will gradually change all to diesel
Old 06-18-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Would a Deere 997 be out of the question for you? The diesel would run the 72" deck so easily, and they sip fuel, especially compared to the BB gassers, though TLS is reprting some very good numbers so far from his EFI 940 on his new RED Exmark 60". The two EFI BB's are interesting to say the least. Too bad they're Kohlers, because I'll go out of my way to never buy another one. I have yet to have a problem with any Kawi, and from everything I've heard or read, the issues with the two BB Kawi's are long gone.

puppypaws and Mickhippy both have the 35 non DFI, and neither has reported any issues.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think scag uses CAT Diesel engines
Old 06-18-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashlawn01 View Post
I think scag uses CAT Diesel engines
Yep, but I read somewhere on here not too long ago that the Cats don't perform up to their HP rating in the TT. Whoever the poster was said the BB 35 was way better overall, and worth the added fuel use to own?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would demo a 997 if available. I was always a scag guy. But the Deere cut better in all conditions. I've got the 72". The turf tiger hangs steep hills a little better. But overall I like the Deere better. Here's mine when I got it home
Old 06-18-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since I got it I did get the rear brushguard to protect the hood and put a striping kit on it
Old 06-18-2013, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

A diesel is perfect for large acerage like that. I would check out each of these diesel machines, the TT, JD 997 and Gravely 472. Two Gravely's would qualify for fleet pricing which is 20% off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2013, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
A diesel is perfect for large acerage like that. I would check out each of these diesel machines, the TT, JD 997 and Gravely 472. Two Gravely's would qualify for fleet pricing which is 20% off.
Posted via Mobile Device
I wasn't sure if the Gravely came with a diesel or not. Which engine is in the 472? I can't get Gravely's site to work anymore for some reson.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I wasn't sure if the Gravely came with a diesel or not. Which engine is in the 472? I can't get Gravely's site to work anymore for some reson.
I believe its the Kubota 25hp. Which is powerful and bullet proof.
Posted via Mobile Device