Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2009, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Less common brands of trimmers/blowers - Vandermolen, Maruyama, Dolmar, etc?

I was just curious about this - it seems most people use either RedMax, Shindaiwa, Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna, or Tanaka trimmers and backpack blowers. Once in a while I see obscure brands like Dolmar, Vandermolen, Maruyama, Makita, Kawasaki, Solo, etc. Any diamonds in the rough out there that we should know about?

I worked on a golf course that had a John Deere backpack blower that held up for a pretty long time. Big company, but very minor presence in 2-stroke equipment.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplex View Post
I was just curious about this - it seems most people use either RedMax, Shindaiwa, Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna, or Tanaka trimmers and backpack blowers. Once in a while I see obscure brands like Dolmar, Vandermolen, Maruyama, Makita, Kawasaki, Solo, etc. Any diamonds in the rough out there that we should know about?

I worked on a golf course that had a John Deere backpack blower that held up for a pretty long time. Big company, but very minor presence in 2-stroke equipment.
Kawasaki handhelds and blowers are pretty nice. I had a string trimmer, edger, and blower when I had a small lawn company down in Florida. If I didn't have Redmax equipment, I think I would purchase a Kawasaki setup.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 01-22-2009, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I've had great luck with my Husqvarna BT125. I'm looking at getting another BT but something a little stronger.
Craftsman 21" 7hp mower
Ariens LM22s 22" Walk behind mower
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer (2011)
Stihl FC 90R Edger (2011)
Stihl BR-600 (2012)
Husqvarna 125BT Backpack blower
Husqvarna 455 Rancher (professional chain)
Poulan "wild thing"
Proudly volunteering with Samaritan's Purse U.S Disaster Relief team since April, 2011

Insured by GLOCK
Old 01-22-2009, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stick with the big name stuff. There's a reason why STIHL, Echo, and the other big name competitors are the names you keep hearing about. Service and dependability. They are the leaders in this industry and will continue to do so when the other small names are dead and gone.

Derek's (Me) Personal Equipment

STIHL MS230 C-BE ON WISH LIST!
STIHL HS 45 18" (2008)
STIHL FS 80R (2001)
STIHL SH 86 (2009)
STIHL MM 55 YARD BOSS (2008)
YARD BOSS EQUIPPED W/
EDGER ATTACHMENT/AERATOR/WEIGHT KIT/TILLER
HONDA HRR216VKA (2008)
2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
Better Built 6x12 Trailer
Old 01-23-2009, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWNS View Post
Kawasaki handhelds and blowers are pretty nice. I had a string trimmer, edger, and blower when I had a small lawn company down in Florida. If I didn't have Redmax equipment, I think I would purchase a Kawasaki setup.
I've seen you speak well of Kawasaki products in other threads too. Did you have trouble finding a dealer that carried them when you moved back north?
Old 01-23-2009, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAyersMotorsports View Post
Stick with the big name stuff. There's a reason why STIHL, Echo, and the other big name competitors are the names you keep hearing about. Service and dependability. They are the leaders in this industry and will continue to do so when the other small names are dead and gone.
The big guys definitely got where they are by doing just that. I'm curious if there might be some niche markets that the little guys have an advantage in, say backpack blowers used by stadium crews instead of landscapers or some other special situation for using the products.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dolmar backpacks are making a presence in this area! I think that will continue to spread as more become aware of there new design!
Old 01-31-2009, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAyersMotorsports View Post
What? try a murayama 26 cc trimmer and you will never want anything else, light and powerful. I have used everything from kawasaki to stihl and shindiawa to dolmar and murayama is the best of the best... they just don't advertise like echo and stihl. It is a little pricey though, but well worth it. I worked for a guy for a couple of years and ued a murayama 32 cc and that thing was awesome... a little heavy but kicked a$$. It is now 9 years old and is still used every day.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplex View Post
I've seen you speak well of Kawasaki products in other threads too. Did you have trouble finding a dealer that carried them when you moved back north?
Sorry, I didn't noticed this sooner. I don't know if this is still true, but Lesco used to carry them, so they had them at my local Lesco store. I'm not going to lie to ya, I prefer Redmax over everything, but the Kawis that I used were very good as well. When I moved to Florida, there were no Redmax dealers in my area, so I tried the Kawasaki stuff and liked it, but I have to admit that when I moved back north I went back to Redmax. I still love my Kawasaki hedge trimmers and use them often. Actually, my wife wants her own pair, so that she can trim the shrubs at the house.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 02-09-2009, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Wacker concrete saws - Good saws

I honestly got into this by accident and it has taken on a life of its own,

http://www.kagconstruction.com/