Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-21-2013, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I Keep Getting Underbid

I am bidding $40 on normal size yards, I have got a few calls now, and someone keeps bidding $35. They say "well so and so said they could do it for $35" so they will have them do it. Should I drop down to $35 so I can compete and get some yards? idk what to do
Old 06-21-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Question, when you say $40 for normal yard is that per cut or monthly? Why I ask is that down here in West coast of FL the norm is about $60 and up @ monthly all year around depending on the size of the properties.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOperator View Post
I am bidding $40 on normal size yards, I have got a few calls now, and someone keeps bidding $35. They say "well so and so said they could do it for $35" so they will have them do it. Should I drop down to $35 so I can compete and get some yards? idk what to do
I assume you bid $40 because that is what you determined you need to coverer expenses and make a reasonable profit. There will always be someone with a lower bid. Don't cut the price. I would say :

My bid is $40. If you get other bids some may be lower, some will be higher., but you will not find any one that will be as dependable as me and do as good of a job. When would you like me to start.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

$40 Per cut, and it was 24000 sq' , close to half an acre. If I did $35 I wouldn't make much, it's on the other end of town (20 miles) and it might be a 1 shot deal. I was as nice as I could be and everything was going well on the phone on the last one till I mentioned the price then it all went down hill and she didn't sound nice and attentive anymore either. I am already seeing that it's all about price to most. I even told them I could be there tomorrow sense I only had 1 yard figuring they would like the fast service. To drive all the way across town and then mow and trim I would be in at least $25, I bid the same as I would bid a neighbor though, I figured it's not their fault they live that far away and I didn't have any yards out there.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply, I ask because I'm in the processes of selling the house here in Clearwater, FL and move over to TN in the near future. I'm currently on my 20 yrs. in lawn service cutting 60 residential home per week averaging from $65 too $80 per monthly as for the shrub trimming a charge $30 an hr. I only work Mon- Fri. no weekends and all of lawns are withing two to three block radius very, very little travel time. I start at 7:30 am and done by 2 or 3 pm.

The season here for us is from April - Nov. on a weekly basis, from Dec. - march twice per month some time once with payment no question ask....
Old 06-21-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't think for a second that if you give the best price you will get the job. I underbid an apartment complex and still lost it even though the property manager was unhappy with the current lawn service. Some people would rather pay for crappy service and that's the ones I stay far away from. I like the ones that don't care what it cost as long as they aren't getting raked accross the coals. One thing is for sure is that I set my price and not the customer. My standards of services rendered are consistent and unwaivering. Stick to your guns and good luck!
Old 06-21-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Callahan, I will do just that.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

And someone else would have bid 50.00 , just keep on keepin on.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Right on, just got another call, same type yard, I said no problem be $40, and she said "wow that's cheap" man this is confusing, lol. I'm just gonna keep on keepen on.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I never give prices over the phone.