Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Ever have any luck getting lawns in july-aug-sept?

The big sales season is obviously spring. Its getting late in the year and a lot of the try green companys are ate up with weeds. Plus all the rain we have had has yards not looking great. Who has luck advertising late in the summer when we start putting pre for winter weeds down and have luck? again i know springs the best but is it worth the money to advertise this time of year or are ya pissin in the wind? Its hard to get the customer to understand in a month we need to put pre down for a clean winter lawn but who has had luck in this or what is your experience?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

North experience. Our sales effort at a major company years ago...most new sales were in spring...but there was a secondary busy period in the first two weeks of September. After that it dropped off to almost zero. There was probably a slight influence from the Scotts winter fert ads during football games. I am not sure if advertising at this time would pay for itself. I would suggest (first year) sending brochures or flyers with a special fall message to just a couple of thousand homes to judge your response rate and cost per sale. Perhaps try different dates in early September.

Try to take advantage of potential grub damage, and likely drought damage...pointing out the advantages of helping the lawn to take advantage of fall rains and potential reseeding that you would do. And, if in the south, explain the advantages of fall pre-emergent. Be sure you are having some kind of special sale--women shoppers love sales, (men too.)
Be sure to mention crabgrass and how your treatments will help their lawn recover.

Be sure to have great color photographs and professional color leaflets mailed out. EDDM. If you can get a school group or band boosters to get 50 kids to hand out 5000 brochures on a Saturday morning--so much the better.

And be sure to warn of the dangers of grubs, winter weeds, snowmold and winterkill. Fear of loss is a powerful way to motivate people. Stay by your phone. Accept calls 24/7--big companies can't do that.

And...Try to arrange in advance with a local printer to take advantage of whatever problem has occurred in the previous 4 weeks, (drought, grubs, disease, crabgrass). Print different brochures or add different printed statements with the same pictures. Big companies cannot do this--you are small and nimble.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I picked up two accounts today. It was totally random and based off the advertising I did in the spring. I know that isn't helpful to you, but I was excited about it and I wanted to get in on this thread to see what kind of advice you get... Good Luck!
Old 07-16-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

5 or 6 yrs ago I made up a flyer. Keep in mind, this is best that I can remember...

"Thought it was too late for a GREEN, WEED FREE lawn?

Think Again! It can happen in as little as 2-3 weeks

Quality Service, Reasonable Rates

Call for FREE Estimate and Details

Company name

Phone number

Different sized lettering, the word GREEN in green ink. yada yada

Short message and to the point.

***Only thing is, you gotta deliver on your promise. May take extra time, material and/or effort.***

I picked crummy lawns in some of my nice neighborhoods and hung them while doing production or at the end of the day when my work was done. Some of them obviously had no lawn service. Some had services that weren't getting the job done. I didn't discriminate. I was hungry for more business then and had more time.Most of my business now comes through referrals

If they take the bait and you deliver the goods, they'll think your the god of grass and you'll have a customer for life...

A little time on Microsoft Word, some copy paper and ink. I printed as needed
Old 07-16-2013, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I pick up lawns year round. I don't advertise though only word of mouth and referrals which I prefer. Typically any lawns I pick up after spring are because they are tired of their current service and want results. I focus on quality not price. Makes it easier to show results this time of year when the crabgrass pre-m has failed
Old 07-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Sponsor

If you ever need any flyers or door hangers printed to help with advertising A'Deas Printing is a great printing company to use. They have cheap prices, a great designer, and the do the Band-It and Stick-It. Which has come in handy so many times when I didn't have a proper place to put my ads going door-to-door.

Check their website out: www.adeasprinting.com
Old 07-17-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Never say "reasonable prices". It has zero motivating force. Always have a sale, special or coupon. You get a lot more response. Even if you raise prices on Monday and have a sale on Friday--it still works--its the oldest trick in the book.

And always make it a limited time offer--as the "time is tight" idea results in more calls, because people fear that they will miss out.

Try to think of a believable reason for a sale--it helps. For instance "we have a lot of customers in your area since last year, so now we can serve your area with less driving and lower costs--this reduces traffic and smog, too."
Old 07-17-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This time of year, I would never offer a deal. They've missed the pre-emergent, broadleaf weed control and my superior fertilization program. In short, their lawn( at least the ones I target) is most likely a POS. They can probably look out the window and tell that for themselves. GREEN in bold green letters and WEED FREE in bold letters are the motivators. I'm certainly not going to discount service for something I will probably have to spend extra time and possibly materials on to make good on my advertisement.

I put "reasonable" or "competitive" rates on there to let them know I am in line with the prices of my competitors in the area. I'm not the cheapest...I'm the best.
I will NEVER use Price or Deals as a motivator for new customers at this point in the season. It always seems to lead to problems later for me.

I only give deals to my current customers. Referral discounts, add on service discounts, etc...This time of year anyway. JMO
Old 07-17-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had very low success with mid season advertising. By this point they have a guy, or don't think they need one. At the same time, I do get a few calls this time of year "my old guy just quit showing up". Usually low ballers looking to replace someone who was losing his ass. Couple exceptions over the years. No discount for calling me when it's hot.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I got two today. One from Craigslist and one from a flyer from when I went out a few days ago putting them on door in a neighborhood. I think you just have to catch people in the right time, right situation. One had a husband that normally cut. Now he is working and going to school full time so they need someone. The other had a guy who they claim just didn't do a good job. I just happen to leave a flyer on her door at the right time.