Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag stripe question

How can I get my 48 vride to stripe?

If I buy a 36 or 48 swz hydro walk behind will it stripe good? I need to get a wb anyways, so I was thinking about getting one that will lay down good stripes. I would like to stick with Scag because the dealer is a really good guy and it would make it easier for me with parts and blades.

I see these guys putting down some beautiful stripes and they all seem to be on 36 or 48 turf tracers. Turf tracer is real expensive in my area. 3 exmark dealers, and they all act like they hate you when you walk in the door. And they will not haggle on the price at all.

I want to get some stripes going to show off my work, but I am not sure where to start.

Grass height?
Stripe roller?
Blades?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

From my understanding its deck pitch and sharp blades.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecster View Post
From my understanding its deck pitch and sharp blades.
That and the type of grass. I'd say we'd need more info to determine what the problem is.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Grass type Fescue mostly and is in East Tennessee.
I sharpen the blades every week.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A properly set up TT will stripe better than a properly set up Velocity deck on the same lawn. The Exmark has much tighter baffling, creating more suction. The trade off is that a Velocity is a better overall deck. The Exmarks excel on well maintained lawns, but can struggle on rougher cuts, or long grasses. Te Scags will still do a good job on a good lawn, but can process more grass on those less than perfect lawns, or when wetter grass.

I have a Exmark with the Trivantage deck. It leaves one of the best cuts I have ever seen in my area, when conditions permit. However I wish I could have a Velocity deck on the mower, as I find the majority of lawns to be less than perfect.

So you must decide. Do you want better stripes? or a better all around mower?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see these guys putting down some beautiful stripes and they all seem to be on 36 or 48 turf tracers. Turf tracer is real expensive in my area. 3 exmark dealers, and they all act like they hate you when you walk in the door. And they will not haggle on the price at all.

^That's exactly how the Exmark dealers act here in the Cleveland, Ohio area. 'Exmarkpr'-can you please enlighten us on why your dealers think they are God's gift to us landscapers???

Last edited by buckhigh; 07-09-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Sponsor

We have forwarded your concerns to the Territory Manager in your area for validation and resolution.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Our walk behinds didn't stripe well at all with the sulkys that we had been running. When they broke, we switched them to proslides and the difference was night and day. I could get you a picture of some of what a Great Dane walk behind with a proslide will do if you'd like.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootytalbot View Post
How can I get my 48 vride to stripe?

If I buy a 36 or 48 swz hydro walk behind will it stripe good? I need to get a wb anyways, so I was thinking about getting one that will lay down good stripes. I would like to stick with Scag because the dealer is a really good guy and it would make it easier for me with parts and blades.

I want to get some stripes going to show off my work, but I am not sure where to start.

Grass height?
Stripe roller?
Blades?
Who is your local dealer in east TN? I'm in the market for a few Turf Tigers.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark dealers must go to some type of class because even the dealers down here in LA. are ***holes.