Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

another reason why i only run a toro floating deck.changing heights is a breeze
Old 06-23-2013, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey whats up oaknut? I too am in Sixburgh and could not agree more with that type of customer. I would like to hit you up direct. How can I do that?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Oh really, fixed decks don't leave a nice cut at 4"?

No and no again, but most people don't "get" fixed decks, they think they do, but they don't.
Most people use floating deck mowers, which is the equivalent of having training wheels.

Fixed decks are the ultimate grass cutting machines, once you take away all the frills and thrills and bells and whistles and frilly farts that do nothing but cost money and get in the way of progress, what you have left is the most simple grass cutting machine money can buy.

No hydraulics, no electronic clutches, no clanking chains, no anti scalpers, no electric starts, no nothing but what is absolutely necessary to get the job done...
But it takes more than one or two cuts to become good at it.
Really, it takes more than a thousand cuts.

It takes more than three thousand cuts to become REALLY good with a fixed deck.

After an operator has several thousand cuts under his or her belt, this is what a lawn looks like at 4" with a fixed deck:
Read: You can't GET that level of light and dark striping contrast by cutting "Shorter"
What turf mixture is that Herler? Also, those stripes would look a whole lot nicer if they were solid.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I first started, like herler, I was stupid and tried to accommodate customers on height. The Exmark was a pain to change though and it seemed like every time I changed the height I'd forget to change it back before I started on the next lawn. Also like herler, I learned and don't do that any more.

One PITA customer wanted the front at 3", the back at 2". pffft. I should say "former customer".
Old 06-23-2013, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rll131 View Post
I'm pretty new to the business so the mower I have is the mower I have at the moment. I'm thinking I'm just going to drop them there a pain anyway. I agree 3 should be the bare minimal but people want it short for some reason. S far the only ones that have said anything. I was cutting at 2.5 about and that's just to low. Thanks for the advice.
they want it cut short because every EOW customer thinks they should have a lawn that resembles the local country club fairways, but will never fork out the money to get even close

you could take the time and completely educate the guy on what happens when you cut too short, what happens when you cut more than 1/3 the blade off (guaranteed your doing this on EOW accounts) and then one day when he finally gets it, he will call you back and you might just get a weekly account who spends money...............or you could just drop him and try and make the next EOW work out
2010 Ford F 150 Super Crew 4X4
2011 Walker MTefi 26hp 52"
2013 Wright Sentar Sport 36"
2013 Wright Sentar X 52"
2014 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2013 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2012 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2011 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
Old 06-23-2013, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you're good, you can play the game. When customers asked to cut it short I simply say sure no problem. They see it when I'm done and say it looks great.

The secret guys is to tell them you're cutting it shorter and just leave it where it's at. I even told one lady that I didn't cut it shorter AFTER I was done and she THOUGHT I did. Now she just lets me do my job and is happy.

I cut a WAY over grown lawn yesterday. So tall that I cut it at 4.5in. using G6 blades. I was shocked that it came out good as the lawn is somewhat thin. Sorry, no pics.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

No and no again, but most people don't "get" fixed decks, they think they do, but they don't.
Most people use floating deck mowers, which is the equivalent of having training wheels.

Fixed decks are the ultimate grass cutting machines, once you take away all the frills and thrills and bells and whistles and frilly farts that do nothing but cost money and get in the way of progress, what you have left is the most simple grass cutting machine money can buy.

No hydraulics, no electronic clutches, no clanking chains, no anti scalpers, no electric starts, no nothing but what is absolutely necessary to get the job done...

After an operator has several thousand cuts under his or her belt, this is what a lawn looks like at 4" with a fixed deck:
Read: You can't GET that level of light and dark striping contrast by cutting "Shorter"
No but you can get them with tire marks.
Awesome tire marks.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Well I have been at this for 25 years now and I have personally been cutting 2000-3000 lawns per year. So I have 50-75,000 cuts now and the first 10-15,000 cuts were on fix deck 48 inch snapper walk behinds. So I may have a little "experience" in this. Your cut looked great now what happens when the next lawn should be 3 inches then the next one should be 3.5 followed by 4.5 inches. I was not attacking the cut of the fixed deck based on the quality but its inability to adapt to changing conditions as you drive through your list. We do over 190 lawns a week and when we are not messed with through break downs or weather we can get that done in 3 days as was the case this week. Being able to switch heights in a few seconds is a key to our efficiency.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Well I have been at this for 25 years now and I have personally been cutting 2000-3000 lawns per year. So I have 50-75,000 cuts now and the first 10-15,000 cuts were on fix deck 48 inch snapper walk behinds. So I may have a little "experience" in this. Your cut looked great now what happens when the next lawn should be 3 inches then the next one should be 3.5 followed by 4.5 inches. I was not attacking the cut of the fixed deck based on the quality but its inability to adapt to changing conditions as you drive through your list. We do over 190 lawns a week and when we are not messed with through break downs or weather we can get that done in 3 days as was the case this week. Being able to switch heights in a few seconds is a key to our efficiency.
I agree 100% with you. I may not do over 190 a week, but I do over 100 and it sure is nice to switch on the fly. I may have a 3.5" and the next be 4.25" the next would be a 4" and another at 3.25". I can't afford to be wasting time moving spacers. Whether it is a quick pin or a dial I need it to be quick and efficient.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

1 cut height does not work for all lawns. Period. Try cutting a thin lawn sprinkled with weeds at 4" and see how good it works.
Posted via Mobile Device