Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Where do you come up with some of the things you post? 20k mile flushes? Shifter bushings?

You're severely misinformed
I beg to differ. The shifter bushings are right next to the flux capacitor and are attached to the hydroculator.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I beg to differ. The shifter bushings are right next to the flux capacitor and are attached to the hydroculator.
Richard don't forget to check the doo-hickey, the thing-a-majig and the what-chamacall-it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Richard don't forget to check the doo-hickey, the thing-a-majig and the what-chamacall-it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I bet herlers blinker fluid is low
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Muffler bearings, never-ever forget to lube the muffler bearings!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Make sure you put summer air in the tires. Might still have winter air in them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Herler most mechanics recommend not to flush the transmission because the stirred up sediment can caused a failed tranny. I blew up a car tranny less than a month after I had it flushed. Put the differential gears through the case.
Posted via Mobile Device
Lol. I don't know where too begin with this one.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismothunder View Post
Lol. I don't know where too begin with this one.
That came straigh from a ASE Mechanic when I asked about flushing my trans. He told me the new fords now will only let you drain the torque converter unless you pull the whole pan off sending all the fluid everywhere and when they flush trans is normally when things go wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
*NEVER* SHIFT an Automatic Transmission!

Do NOT drive the truck except to take it straight to a transmission shop!!

1. Truck automatic transmissions need their filter and fluid changed every (Pro 20 thousand, DIY 10 thousand) miles.
Fail to do this and you are asking for trouble.
I would take your truck to a transmission place and have them service it.

2. ALWAYS check automatic transmission fluid CAREFULLY with the truck on LEVEL ground and the transmission lever in NEUTRAL!!!
Be VERY CAREFUL your truck doesn't roll away from you!!!
Failure to check the fluid exactly as described can result in an incorrect level reading.

3. It sounds like it could be shifter bushings or some such thing, again take it to a transmission place and have them take a look at it, chances are fairly decent it is something simple that for a few hundred dollars ...

4. If you don't get it taken care of now in the early stages, you might and likely will be looking at a repair bill in the thousands of dollars.

Like the others stated, this is a load of bovine excrement.

Could you explain why an auto tranny should never be shifted manually? In detail please, and go ahead and link the article you googled to spew this garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Where do you come up with some of the things you post? 20k mile flushes? Shifter bushings?

You're severely misinformed
Posted via Mobile Device
Actually, there are shifter bushings and they become worn in the older Furds. I have replaced them in a couple of my trucks. They do not cause slippage as the OP states. The truck will not go into the proper gear as shown on the indicator.

As for tranny flushes, I get mine done every 1-2 years. I am using the heck out of these trucks, pulling and plowing. A fluid change to keep it fresh and the crap out is far cheaper than waiting for one to fail.

I do the same with my coolant. The "extended life" is garbage when a vehicle is being used for working. And if you do flush it regularly, you keep the crap out so you don't take out your water pump when you do follow the recommendations at 100K.

Quote:
Herler most mechanics recommend not to flush the transmission because the stirred up sediment can caused a failed tranny. I blew up a car tranny less than a month after I had it flushed. Put the differential gears through the case.
Posted via Mobile Device
The problem is if the fluid and parts are varnished that badly, it needs to be flushed twice. Once initially and then again a couple weeks later.

Tranny maintenance should be performed far more often in work trucks than what is specced.

OP, you need to find your pinhole leak ASAP. Or check your fluid far more regularly. Keep up the way you are and you will be putting a new tranny in your truck. With 48K on the ticker, now is a great time to get it flushed by a reputable tranny shop. Not sure which tranny is in an '04 with a 5.4, but if it's the TorqShift they need a machine to do it fully, because it needs to be backflushed.

Also, check your fluid on level ground while the engine is running. You do NOT need to be in neutral.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 06-26-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
That came straigh from a ASE Mechanic when I asked about flushing my trans. He told me the new fords now will only let you drain the torque converter unless you pull the whole pan off sending all the fluid everywhere and when they flush trans is normally when things go wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your ASE mechanic is an idiot.

"Normal" flushes consist of pulling the pan but will not get the fluid out of the torque convertor. Because the pan has to be removed to change the filter.

You have it backwards.

And, as I stated, the TorqShifts need to be backflushed to do the job correctly as well.

I have 10 trucks, give or take and have them flushed regularly and have never had one fail due to being flushed.

That's close to telling someone they should change the oil because of all the contaminants that will come out with it.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

FWIW, I can go one better on the ASE\stupid mechanic trick.

I have an '04 550 that was a victim of the snap ring debacle that grenaded the Torqshifts back in '05-'06, I believe it was.

Truck was in the stealership with 13 other Super Duties with either cracked cases from the snap ring letting go or the planetary pins that walked out and caused bad things to happen. One of the 13 was my '05 550 with 500 miles on it that had the planetary pin issue. In January. Both were down for 2 weeks. I digress.

Anyways, I'm talking to the service writer and he brings me back in the shop area to show me what happened. The Furd mechanic is standing there and we start talking about the TS. He shows me the crack in the case, blah, blah, blah. The service writer had informed me that Ford would warranty it this time, but if it happened again, they would not because it was due to abuse while plowing, i.e. shifting without stopping. The mechanic then proceeds to tell me that the TS is such an awesome transmission that if it senses movement on the output shaft, it will not shift into another gear, either Forward or Reverse..............................

I'm sure at this point, I probably looked somewhat like an idiot standing there with my mouth open before I was able to respond to these 2 nimrods. So, I asked the inevitable. "Mr Service Writer, if this tranny won't shift without being completely stopped, how can this failure be caused by abuse?"

At this point in time, these 2 took there turns looking like idiots standing there with mouths open. I then point out the fact that not only do they have 13 OTHER trucks in for one of the 2 issues, there are snow contractors across the entire USA and Canada that are having this problem and there is a national backorder on tranny cases and associated parts to repair the screwup that Furd created.

So just because someone is factory or ASE certified does not mean they know what they are talking about. In fact the greater majority of service "techs" are parts replacers, they are no longer mechanics. All the do is read a screen and the computer may or may not tell them what is wrong.

Or, my BIL had a new F350 6.7 that replaced his previous one that was totalled. From day 1, he told them something was wrong with it as it didn't have near the power that his first one did. They kept on doing their tests and everything was "within specs" every time. Until his employee was pulling a load and the engine seized up on him. As in came to a sudden halt seized up on him. But those same factory certified techs told him everything was just fine and dandy. Took them around 45 days to get it rebuilt. Furd is buying him a new one even though it runs fine now, since it falls well within the lemon law.