Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2013, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Like the others stated, this is a load of bovine excrement.

Could you explain why an auto tranny should never be shifted manually? In detail please, and go ahead and link the article you googled to spew this garbage.

Actually, there are shifter bushings and they become worn in the older Furds. I have replaced them in a couple of my trucks. They do not cause slippage as the OP states. The truck will not go into the proper gear as shown on the indicator.

As for tranny flushes, I get mine done every 1-2 years. I am using the heck out of these trucks, pulling and plowing. A fluid change to keep it fresh and the crap out is far cheaper than waiting for one to fail.

I do the same with my coolant. The "extended life" is garbage when a vehicle is being used for working. And if you do flush it regularly, you keep the crap out so you don't take out your water pump when you do follow the recommendations at 100K.

The problem is if the fluid and parts are varnished that badly, it needs to be flushed twice. Once initially and then again a couple weeks later.

Tranny maintenance should be performed far more often in work trucks than what is specced.

OP, you need to find your pinhole leak ASAP. Or check your fluid far more regularly. Keep up the way you are and you will be putting a new tranny in your truck. With 48K on the ticker, now is a great time to get it flushed by a reputable tranny shop. Not sure which tranny is in an '04 with a 5.4, but if it's the TorqShift they need a machine to do it fully, because it needs to be backflushed.

Also, check your fluid on level ground while the engine is running. You do NOT need to be in neutral.

Not in 04 it's all linkages.

Trans fluid has a much longer life. Things have changed since flush machines were first introduced.

I'm willing to bet the pinhole leak is on the dipstick tube or the lines going to the trans cooler. I've replaced several of both.

The thing about fords not being able to flush to is a lie. Some don't have dipsticks and you're mechanic is lazy. If they don't have dip sticks you have to check fluid level by opening a bolt in the tranny.

I was a mechanic for many years
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Not in 04 it's all linkages.

Sorry, I meant to say that after I mentioned it being problematic in the older Fords.

Trans fluid has a much longer life. Things have changed since flush machines were first introduced.

It does, but under the conditions my trucks go under, I am not willing to chance it. Very cheap insurance to get it flushed more often than not enough.

I'm willing to bet the pinhole leak is on the dipstick tube or the lines going to the trans cooler. I've replaced several of both.

The thing about fords not being able to flush to is a lie. Some don't have dipsticks and you're mechanic is lazy. If they don't have dip sticks you have to check fluid level by opening a bolt in the tranny.

I was a mechanic for many years
Posted via Mobile Device
I never said it couldn't be flushed.

All my trucks have dipsticks. Pretty sure trucks all come with serviceable trannies. Cars might not, but trucks do.

Tranny shop I use has been in business since 1960. Pretty sure they've managed to stay in business by knowing what they're talking about.

The mechanic I use for engine work was either the first or second place mechanic in the country for FoMoCo for several years running. Until he started his own shop. Funny thing is when he quit, the owner of the dealership asked him if he would still work on his cars.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 06-26-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Actually mark I do get my tranny fluid changed. There is a hot debate of wither tranny fluid should be changed at all. My dads 3/4 ton had 260k on it before it had one and the oil looked new(It was my uncles truck then). The BG system they replace the oil and never open the tranny because they believe that you should never have enough sediment to clog the filter and its safer to leave it alone. I usually never trust mechanics to do anything except for 2 and it wasn't that guy haha. Also if a repair shop replaces parts I buy them. I save a ton on parts and I know what's going in my trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm going to throw this out. The way he described it, it sounds more to me like his catalytic converter is broke and floating around than a tranny. I thought if your low on oil it slips. If your converter is blocking the exhaust you will loose major power. When it happened to me I lost all power over 1500 rpms.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
I never said it couldn't be flushed.

All my trucks have dipsticks. Pretty sure trucks all come with serviceable trannies. Cars might not, but trucks do.

Tranny shop I use has been in business since 1960. Pretty sure they've managed to stay in business by knowing what they're talking about.

The mechanic I use for engine work was either the first or second place mechanic in the country for FoMoCo for several years running. Until he started his own shop. Funny thing is when he quit, the owner of the dealership asked him if he would still work on his cars.
I know someone else mentioned it about vechiles. I was in a national competition in high school for it. I was working on ld diesel trucks after 6 years of gassers when I got it.

I've literally worked on just about everything lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

At 20 years old I was making $30 an hour. Economy took a crap and my son was born premature so I left
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
That came straigh from a ASE Mechanic when I asked about flushing my trans. He told me the new fords now will only let you drain the torque converter unless you pull the whole pan off sending all the fluid everywhere and when they flush trans is normally when things go wrong.
This made my eyebrow go up too. I might agree with this if the tranny has 200,000 miles on it and the fluid was burned 100,000 miles ago. If you follow the manufacturers service intervals then the only thing that should happen by changing the tranny fluid is making the transmission last longer.

I'm not an ASE mechanic but not because it is beyond my abilities. I just never felt like doing auto mechanics as a career. I was always told that the tranny that was in my F150 was weak and would never last pulling a load. All I did was change the fluid on a regular basis and I ran it to 148,000 miles before I sold it. As far as I know it is still going strong and is still pulling a trailer every day.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Holly crap just looked threw this post out of curiosity and almost fell off my chair laughing. You guys are going to send this poor guy running to the 1st trans shop for fear of having a trans blow up if he doesn't. The only one that really benefits from all that servicing is the trans shop. You do not need to service a trans that often. Yes recommended service intervals is around 60,000 on some. But if you have not followed all those service intervals and have around 100 plus or more than by putting in fresh detergent fluid will wash whats left of the material that is on the clutch plates off and you will be back at the trans shop in a few months. I have seen that a number of times. So unless you are really having a issue with it than leave it alone. When will some people learn if its not broke leave it alone.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkicks View Post
Holly crap just looked threw this post out of curiosity and almost fell off my chair laughing. You guys are going to send this poor guy running to the 1st trans shop for fear of having a trans blow up if he doesn't. The only one that really benefits from all that servicing is the trans shop. You do not need to service a trans that often. Yes recommended service intervals is around 60,000 on some. But if you have not followed all those service intervals and have around 100 plus or more than by putting in fresh detergent fluid will wash whats left of the material that is on the clutch plates off and you will be back at the trans shop in a few months. I have seen that a number of times. So unless you are really having a issue with it than leave it alone. When will some people learn if its not broke leave it alone.
It's called preventative maintenance.

Some understand......some, not so much.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 06-26-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

There's nothing wrong with preventive maintenance Mark. but there is certainly over doing it also. Kind of like the old folks that run to the Dr constantly for every aliment that they come across. I'm not saying that this falls under that but the way some of the advise sounded it was like if he did not run off to his local witch Dr than the truck was going to start vomiting out the intake and throwing fire balls out the tail pipe and than he was going to here strange satanic voices coming from the speakers even though the radio is off. Now I have seen guys spend a boat load of preventive maintenance and still replace broken stuff. And have seen guys do just the basics and get 200 plus before moving onto another vehicle. It all depends how hard you are on your equipment and knowing when to actually detect a problem and catch it before it becomes something major. Which I believe was where this all started at. He noticed something that was not right and wanted to know if it was something that was a problem or not. but for now it seems the answer was being low on trans fluid. But the symptoms of loss of power does not match in fact it would actually slip and the motor would be racing up not struggling to increase in rpms. I heard clogged cat I think on one of the post but depending on year once they go bad they do not get better.Unless it was the older style that had the honey combs inside and the honey combs broke apart inside and was moving around restricting the exhaust flow. But I guess we'll have to wait and see if his problem comes back.