Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-27-2013, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah you guys know everything.

Not like an engine oil flush, when I say "flush" I mean take it to a shop.
DIY only gets between 50 to 80 percent of the old fluid out.
But if you take it to a shop they have a machine that flushes about 90 percent of it out.
And that is what it's called, a flush is how the shop changes automatic transmission fluid.

But you wise cracks know everything, especially since most of you are running the same burnt fluid that was in the vehicle the day you bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Where do you come up with some of the things you post? 20k mile flushes? Shifter bushings?

You're severely misinformed
Posted via Mobile Device
And the last time the automatic transmission in your vehicles has had a fluid and filter change is probably about as long ago as most people's which equals never... And it's probably severely burnt and only a matter of time ...

When I buy cars, trucks...
One of the checks I perform is the fluid.
9 out of 10 that I check are running burnt transmission fluid.
That means it has not been changed in well past 20 thousand miles.

I am certain most people run 50 to 100 thousand miles and never once change the automatic transmission fluid and filter.

And yes, unless you do it yourself it is called flushing the fluid and changing the filter.

Last edited by herler; 06-27-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

According to the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association, 90% of ALL transmission failures are caused by overheating.
And most of these can be blamed on worn out fluid that should have been replaced.

And when done by a transmission shop, the fluid exchange is done with a machine that flushes out the old stuff.
That is what they call it, flushing out the old fluid, why I called it a flush, because the transmission shop's mechanics refer to it as such.

And if you had ever taken your vehicle in to have it serviced properly like you are supposed to, you would know these things.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, herler, still waiting on why we should NEVER shift an auto tranny.

One thing I will say, as grandview suggested, you can manually start off in second gear to see if it is first gear that is the problem.

BUT, contrary to herler's recommendation, do NOT do this on a regular basis. Ford in their infinite wisdom has built these tranny's to start off in whatever gear the shifter is in. Pulling a trailer and starting in second will destroy your tranny in no time. Even unloaded it is far from a good idea.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 06-27-2013, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i prefer to stick with my clutch and manual transmission. i'm smarter than an automatic transmission anyway i know better than it what gear i want to be in
Old 06-27-2013, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Well, herler, still waiting on why we should NEVER shift an auto tranny.

One thing I will say, as grandview suggested, you can manually start off in second gear to see if it is first gear that is the problem.

BUT, contrary to herler's recommendation, do NOT do this on a regular basis. Ford in their infinite wisdom has built these tranny's to start off in whatever gear the shifter is in. Pulling a trailer and starting in second will destroy your tranny in no time. Even unloaded it is far from a good idea.
That wasn't clear. Herler said NEVER. One can start off in 2nd occasionally, but I wouldn't recommend it. At least not in Fords.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 06-27-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Let's see now A trans flush. Yes the correct way is to be in a shop, hook it to a machine that pumps fresh fluid threw the system while filtering the old fluid that comes out. This is for the purpose of flushing the trans lines and trans cooler. It will not get the fluid out of the torque converter unless the car is running and the trans pump is pumping fluid threw it when in gear. Yes of cause the Trans rebuilder's are going to blame burnt fluid which can be blamed on the customer and not defects which would be factory issues. That would be suicide to go against the auto manufactures. Now yes by keeping your truck or car maintained and having the correct equipment installed for what you are towing ( such as coolers,extra capacity trans pans with cooling vents threw them or fins. This will help keep the trans fluid temp down.) making sure there are no obstructions in front of the radiator such as being clogged with leaves or road debris. than my favoret get the extra weight off the front of that truck ( plow equipment ,custom grills that are just about sealed up to show off fancy emblems and such. That is good preventive maintenance advise. And lastly when the temps push past 85 degrees and your running around fully loaded with the a/c on to stay cool between jobs. Slow down and do not push the truck so hard and when you get to where you are going allow it to run a bit and pump some of the cooler fluid from the radiator threw the system it helps, really no bull it does help vs just pulling up and just shutting down. This is advise that I have passed along to customers years ago when I worked for GM. Some listened some didn't. Bottom line it's your truck do what makes you feel comfortable and do what works for you. Sometimes what works for one does not work for another. Ok now that my morning preaching is over and to think years ago I swore I would never get involved in long drawn out discussions like this. Must be a sign of age. I'm starting to sound like some of the old timers that use to be in the shops.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
That wasn't clear. Herler said NEVER. One can start off in 2nd occasionally, but I wouldn't recommend it. At least not in Fords.
If your able to start off from a stand still in second gear in an auto tranny you have serious problems with it . A auto trans will always start off in first gear from a stand still no matter what gear you put it in on the colum or floor shifter.
As for the manual shifting an auto tranny I see no problem with that might help keep the truck from up shiting and keep the truck in its power band. This is where tow/haul mode helps. If manual shfting is bad for an auto why do they give you a gear selection ?
Old 06-29-2013, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dually00-00 View Post
If your able to start off from a stand still in second gear in an auto tranny you have serious problems with it . A auto trans will always start off in first gear from a stand still no matter what gear you put it in on the colum or floor shifter.
As for the manual shifting an auto tranny I see no problem with that might help keep the truck from up shiting and keep the truck in its power band. This is where tow/haul mode helps. If manual shfting is bad for an auto why do they give you a gear selection ?
Putting the transmission in 2nd only limits the transmission from going into a higher gear. It does not stop it from going down to a lower gear. Same as putting a transmission in 3rd. It will not go into higher gears but will go into 1st and 2nd.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dually00-00 View Post
No it won't.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkicks View Post
Let's see now A trans flush. Yes the correct way is to be in a shop, hook it to a machine that pumps fresh fluid threw the system while filtering the old fluid that comes out. This is for the purpose of flushing the trans lines and trans cooler. It will not get the fluid out of the torque converter unless the car is running and the trans pump is pumping fluid threw it when in gear. Yes of cause the Trans rebuilder's are going to blame burnt fluid which can be blamed on the customer and not defects which would be factory issues. That would be suicide to go against the auto manufactures. Now yes by keeping your truck or car maintained and having the correct equipment installed for what you are towing ( such as coolers,extra capacity trans pans with cooling vents threw them or fins. This will help keep the trans fluid temp down.) making sure there are no obstructions in front of the radiator such as being clogged with leaves or road debris. than my favoret get the extra weight off the front of that truck ( plow equipment ,custom grills that are just about sealed up to show off fancy emblems and such. That is good preventive maintenance advise. And lastly when the temps push past 85 degrees and your running around fully loaded with the a/c on to stay cool between jobs. Slow down and do not push the truck so hard and when you get to where you are going allow it to run a bit and pump some of the cooler fluid from the radiator threw the system it helps, really no bull it does help vs just pulling up and just shutting down. This is advise that I have passed along to customers years ago when I worked for GM. Some listened some didn't. Bottom line it's your truck do what makes you feel comfortable and do what works for you. Sometimes what works for one does not work for another. Ok now that my morning preaching is over and to think years ago I swore I would never get involved in long drawn out discussions like this. Must be a sign of age. I'm starting to sound like some of the old timers that use to be in the shops.
Who flushes trans without them running? Every machine I've had had to have the car running. I hated our bg machine. The last machine we got was the best. But I can't remember for the life of me who made it. It was red lol not snapon.
Posted via Mobile Device