Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-29-2013, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dually00-00 View Post
If your able to start off from a stand still in second gear in an auto tranny you have serious problems with it . A auto trans will always start off in first gear from a stand still no matter what gear you put it in on the colum or floor shifter.
As for the manual shifting an auto tranny I see no problem with that might help keep the truck from up shiting and keep the truck in its power band. This is where tow/haul mode helps. If manual shfting is bad for an auto why do they give you a gear selection ?
You're wrong. I have 7 Super Duties and they all do it straight from the factory.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2013, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dodge's don't do the 2nd gear trick. Also the dodge trans are the ones you need to check in neutral. Us dodge guys get into a ford or chevy and think we blew the trans when we put it in '2'
Old 06-30-2013, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Never had a chevy do it. But fords do it all the time. My personal favorite is my e70 going too 60mph before shifting out of second.

The old C6 trannys, when you shifted into second would start in second and stayed in second. Fords reasoning was for wet/slick weather. So you didn't spin. Well that's it.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

At least ford engineers circled the problem right on the front of every truck. This is just stupid.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-30-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Guess I was wrong about the second gear thing. Im glad my 450 is a manual. My Chevy's never did that .
Old 07-01-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Haven't checked my post in a while and guess its blown up.
I put a full quart into my tranny and everything seems to be back to normal. I've had problems in the past with tranny lines rotting out and developing small holes causing fluid to leak out. There must be a small pin hole leak somewhere that I'm not noticing. The last one I had was leaking onto my exhaust causing a noticeable cloud of smoke and a distinct smell. Time to do a little investigating this weekend and find out where the small leak is coming from?
2007 Exmark 48" Turf Tracer HP 17hp
2 Shindaiwa Trimmers
Echo T755-H Backpack plower
JRCO dethatcher
6x14' Big Tex Open Trailer
Little Wonder 10hp blower
Echo T-150 Hedge Trimmer
Old 07-01-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ya its been interesting in your absence.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-15-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well looks like my truck is headed to the shop... A few weeks ago I thought adding a quart of tranny fluid solved my problems. Well today the truck took a turn for the worst. While pulling my trailer it started shifting really rough from 1st to 2nd. Then it almost wouldn't want to shift out of 2nd unless I took my foot off the gas. Then randomly the OVERDRIVE light on the shifter starting flashing. Next thing you know the tranny temp gauge starts rising. Thank god I was on my way to drop my trailer off. Once I disconnected my trailer and started to drive away the temp went back down to normally but the truck was still shifting roughly. Pulled into my driveway and went to put it in REVERSE and the truck wouldn't move. Tried going through the gears and it would only move forward but wouldn't go back. Turned the truck off and went back out a little while later and put it in reverse and the truck went backwards fine!!! Feel like I should get ready to shell out some $$$$$$$$$$$
2 Shindaiwa Trimmers
JRCO dethatcher
Echo T-150 Hedge Trimmer
Old 07-15-2013, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTmower View Post
Well looks like my truck is headed to the shop... A few weeks ago I thought adding a quart of tranny fluid solved my problems. Well today the truck took a turn for the worst. While pulling my trailer it started shifting really rough from 1st to 2nd. Then it almost wouldn't want to shift out of 2nd unless I took my foot off the gas. Then randomly the OVERDRIVE light on the shifter starting flashing. Next thing you know the tranny temp gauge starts rising. Thank god I was on my way to drop my trailer off. Once I disconnected my trailer and started to drive away the temp went back down to normally but the truck was still shifting roughly. Pulled into my driveway and went to put it in REVERSE and the truck wouldn't move. Tried going through the gears and it would only move forward but wouldn't go back. Turned the truck off and went back out a little while later and put it in reverse and the truck went backwards fine!!! Feel like I should get ready to shell out some $$$$$$$$$$$
Do it yourself if you want an adventure. Rebuild kits are cheap, its the labor that kills.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Unfortunately I don't have the time to adventure into rebuilding my tranny. I have too many lawns to cut and little time for anything else. 4 day truck rental is going to cost $350 so hopefully I can get everything repaired and done in that time frame by Friday when I have to bring the rental truck back.
2 Shindaiwa Trimmers
JRCO dethatcher
Echo T-150 Hedge Trimmer