Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

grass lying down from zero tires

What to you guys do about grass lying down from your zero's? What I mean is when you go around the perimeter of the property, say beds, house, driveway and walkway the grass seems to start to grow horizontal instead of vertical where your tires ride. What I have had to do is use my 21" mower close to the house and beds to eliminate that. I have the snapper pro s200x 61" deck so my machine is over 1000lbs with the bagging assembly. I have tried to go the opposite way around the perimeter but I can only do that when im bagging cause I dont have a OCDC. I have high lift blades should I get super high lifts? Run higher tire psi? Its getting old cause the grass that has layed down is even hard to trim with the trimmer. Not only that it looks awful. This doesnt happen as bad with my higher end yards that are thick and healthy. Any advice on what you other LCO's do would be awsome!!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

when I wonder what way the grass is growing I hope somebody kicks me in the face and they throw away the key
Old 06-26-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My wright stander all of a sudden is leaving uncut grass everywhere even with new and sharp blades. Why ??
Old 06-26-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have to double cut everything and it still leaves grass. I use this for really steep hills so double cutting is it fun. My mower shop says it runs fine
Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

The mower cuts all the grass. It's just seems like after the grass is cut the rear tires smash the grass down so much that it doesn't stand back up. Then until the next week when I come back to cut it grows along with the other grass (Milo) but it grows while it's layed down which makes it even more difficult to cut. My deck has great vacuum but the grass just won't suck up into the deck. I'm not a professional on grass but after it lays down and stays like that it starts to take on a different kind of structure. It's very flimsy and even if you cut it with the 21"it still doesn't like to stand up
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Oh and here I was thinking the grass laid itself down purely out of respect.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

You guys are almost good enough to quit cutting grass and startdoing stand up. If you don't have any good advice don't post back. This is supposed to be a place where we help each other not bust each others balls. By the way this is a new to me mower. Always used wb's.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I've only had this happen on one lawn. I always had to mow the border the blowing the clippings into the lawn then go the opposite direction to get it to stand up and be cut without blowing to many clippings in the direction of the house. I could only get away with this because of the layout of the property though.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response Joel d. I also do that where it permits like sidewalks and driveways.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms8921 View Post
The mower cuts all the grass. It's just seems like after the grass is cut the rear tires smash the grass down so much that it doesn't stand back up. Then until the next week when I come back to cut it grows along with the other grass (Milo) but it grows while it's layed down which makes it even more difficult to cut. My deck has great vacuum but the grass just won't suck up into the deck. I'm not a professional on grass but after it lays down and stays like that it starts to take on a different kind of structure. It's very flimsy and even if you cut it with the 21"it still doesn't like to stand up
Posted via Mobile Device
Sound like you don't have good vacuum.
What is the RPM is mower running?

How tall are you cutting?

What type grass do you have?