LawnSite Senior Member

Seat belt on mowers saves lives.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 06-27-2013, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colaguy View Post
Seat belt on mowers saves lives.
Yeah so do ROPS but guess what?

It was not known whether the machine had a seatbelt, but if it did Miller must not have been wearing it.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Yeah so do ROPS but guess what?

It was not known whether the machine had a seatbelt, but if it did Miller must not have been wearing it.
Why do you have to act like an azz? You KNOW the guy couldn't have had a seatbelt on considering he was using a old farm style tractor that wasn't equipped with either a seatbelt or ROPS. He was on flat ground as well. It's not like the tractor rolled over. Yeah, you quoted right from the article so you had to see this.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's a shame, but I know from firsthand experience with them, that those old fords are fairly front heavy, and the article says it lifted up in the front and ejected the guy into the gang reels. That article to me reads like they left out a lot of info to really push seat belts/rops by using this accident, more than telling the actual details of what happened and how it could be prevented in the future. The front end wouldn't just raise up for no good reason and toss the guy, but even if it did, it would have to do it very quickly to toss him off like that, especially on flat ground, so the rear wheels would have had to become stopped almost instantly somehow by an outside influence against them. Obviously the tractor kept on going after he fell off and ended up stuck in a swamp or wetland somewhere, so what was that outside influence? Maybe the operator tried to climb something to steep too fast, that shouldn't have been attempted at all on that machine. Who knows, because the article left out those details that really matter.

From the sounds of things in that article, a set of front suitcase weights would have been a lot more useful in this case, and should have been on there with a rear mounted or towed piece of equipment that places some of the weight on the drawbar.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Old just could of had a heart attack then fell out of the seat to the ground.

I think that is the most likely scenario.

On a side note my JD LT 180 was acting up this year so I had by passed some safety switches one at a time to isolate the problem. Fixed problem though put off reconnecting the safety switch.

Yesterday I knew my son was going to help me so I reconnected the last switch that was bypassed. The switch that would kill the engine if the driver left the seat and the blades were engaged. Bad enough to have a 500 lb machine roll over on you without the blades being powered.

Let this tragedy not be forgotten and remind us to work safe.